Car tach on a bike?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car tach on a bike?????

I was told by a guy to use a monster tach with a shift light from a car on my 1100. I know they're cheaper for cars than bikes, i assume the reason is the wiring for 2 coils vs 1, and mounts and such.... Or could a car tach be used? I know for the cars, the green wire goes to the coil (dist side), but haven't installed an electric tach on a bike, and haven't seen the wiring for it, so I don't know how it connects. Would this really work?

You need to look at the tach. From what I can figure out in my head the tach ought to work when set to 4 cylinder mode. I think our bikes fire for every power and exhaust stroke. Conventional cars like my Cavalier also had 2 coils that fired in the same way as our GSs.

I would like to hear more on the subject though, I'm not completely sure about how the GS ignition works.

Steve

Comment

I believe a similar query has come up before. A potential problem is that a car tach is not designed to stand up to the elements, namely rain but vibration I suppose, as well.
      Probably best to go w/ a bike specific model, but I'm sure someone has tried the auto tach on a bike at somepoint....

Comment

When in doubt, shop Ebay

Comment

Working...
        X