Cant move rear brake plunger to accept new pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant move rear brake plunger to accept new pads

Hi this is the fiirst time I have replaced pads on this bike,81 GS1100E. I cant get the plunger closest to the tire to move so i can slide in the new pad. Having not done this before perhaps I am missing some basic knowledge here. Help, hopefully leaving for a Vt ride this afternoon:-|

Originally posted by Devilwinner
    Hi this is the fiirst time I have replaced pads on this bike,81 GS1100E. I cant get the plunger closest to the tire to move so i can slide in the new pad. Having not done this before perhaps I am missing some basic knowledge here. Help, hopefully leaving for a Vt ride this afternoon:-|
    Have you tried prying it back. If you have two bleeders on the caliper try loosening the one for the piston that won't push back.

Comment

I've tried prying. No go. The other one moved so easily. Going out to loosen the bleeder now.

Comment

I've tried prying. No go. The other one moved so easily. Going out to loosen the bleeder now.
        You may need to bleed the cailper afterwards since the piston might want to move back out a bit on its own.

Comment

Removed the bleeder and I finally got it pried back. New shoes are in. The plunger stayed in placed. Do I need to bleed it ? Oh yeah, thanks Billy. Much appreciated.

Comment

Removed the bleeder and I finally got it pried back. New shoes are in. The plunger stayed in placed. Do I need to bleed it ? Oh yeah, thanks Billy. Much appreciated.
            I'd bleed it just to be on the safe side.

Comment

Working...
            X