Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any suggestions on what to use for chain lube???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any suggestions on what to use for chain lube???

Before I buy lube for my very, very dry chain I thought I'd ask anyone who's got firsthand experience of a good lube??? It's for an '81 750L. Hopefully something that won't spray up my back the first time I take her out post lube.

Thanks for any advice!

Originally posted by jmbpainting
    Before I buy lube for my very, very dry chain I thought I'd ask anyone who's got firsthand experience of a good lube??? It's for an '81 750L. Hopefully something that won't spray up my back the first time I take her out post lube.

Thanks for any advice!
    Chain wax is the best way to go. Maxima is one of the better brands. Goes on thin then dries so it won't fling off the chain. If you use a shield between the chain and the wheel you can keep from making a mess of things while applying it. Once it sets up you can clean up the sprocket with a little solvent on a rag.

Comment

Another vote for Maxima Chain Wax

Comment

ditto, to all the above

Comment

Another thumbs up for Maxima Chain Wax: http://www.maximausa.com/products/ch...s/chainwax.asp

Easy to apply, doesn't fling off, and works great.

Comment

I have been using the Dupont Multi Purpose Lube for a while now on my o-Ring chain. It is the cleanest of anything I have used, including maxima chain Wax. It leaves a thin waxy film that protects and nothing seems to stick to it. What's awesome is that it cleans as it goes on, the dirt just kind of drips off until it dries (a minute or two) Seems to be the best stuff I have found yet. (assuming my chain doesn't go to crap!)

Search around on the net you can find some articles about this stuff, Those that like it like it a lot!

Here is a link to an article about it

Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2006, 01:23 PM.

Comment

I also use Maxima chain wax on both bikes.
              No problems, just be careful of the overspray .

Where in Mass?
              Keith
              -------------------------------------------
              1980 GS1000S, blue and white
              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by JHawkins
                I have been using the Dupont Multi Purpose Lube for a while now on my o-Ring chain. It is the cleanest of anything I have used, including maxima chain Wax. It leaves a thin waxy film that protects and nothing seems to stick to it. What's awesome is that it cleans as it goes on, the dirt just kind of drips off until it dries (a minute or two) Seems to be the best stuff I have found yet. (assuming my chain doesn't go to crap!)

Search around on the net you can find some articles about this stuff, Those that like it like it a lot!

Here is a link to an article about it

https://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/moto...chain-lube.htm
                I have also been using the DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant. It's the best and cleanest chain lube I have ever used. It has better control of the aerosol spray pressure than other lubes, and is not messy to apply. It's also very long lasting.

Comment

I just got some of the Dupont Teflon Multi-Purpose Lube. The label also says 'Dry, Wax Lubricant'. It goes on very nicely and leaves a very slick film on the chain. Overspray cleaned up very easily. Like JHawkins mentioned, it cleans the chain before it dries. I'll report back on how it works.

Joe
                  IBA# 24077
                  '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                  '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                  '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

If I wanted to make the switch from traditional chain lube to chain wax, should I give the chain a total solvent bath first to clean it up, or just spray on and go?

I am assuming the chain wax is like lube, should be done on a hot chain?

Comment

Originally posted by fast eddie View Post
                      If I wanted to make the switch from traditional chain lube to chain wax, should I give the chain a total solvent bath first to clean it up, or just spray on and go?

I am assuming the chain wax is like lube, should be done on a hot chain?
                      You should always clean the chain before lubing it but I'd be very careful about how much solvent to use. Apply a mild solvent like kerosene or WD-40 to a rag and wipe the chain with the rag. Do not apply the solvent directly to the chain. It will get inside the rollers and dissolve the grease inside, even on an o-ring chain (trust me on this!).

Yes, the chain should be lubed when hot.

Thanks,
                      Joe
                      IBA# 24077
                      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
                        I just got some of the Dupont Teflon Multi-Purpose Lube. The label also says 'Dry, Wax Lubricant'. It goes on very nicely and leaves a very slick film on the chain. Overspray cleaned up very easily. Like JHawkins mentioned, it cleans the chain before it dries. I'll report back on how it works.

Joe
                        Well, is it working? I'm thinking about using it.

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
                          Once again I didn't get good chain life, but then I never do. I've switched to Silkolene on the recommendation of a local shop. It's messier than the Dupont stuff but seems to be working better. I've also started running my chains a bit tighter than I used to so that is probably a factor.

How's that for not being much help at all? Try it on the 850 'Disco Queen'. I'm sure it will do the trick..............

Thanks,
                          Joe
                          IBA# 24077
                          '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
                            I got over 20,000 miles on mine using dupont. I probably could have gone longer, but the sprockets were getting pretty worn. I am now running a 530 x-ring instead of the 630 DID oring. Will get back to you in a couple of years on that combination! heheheh

Comment

I've had a good history with Maxima Chain Wax and also PJ1 Chain Lube. The PJ1 'dries' to an ultra sticky goo which doesn't fling off the chain. I guess that means dirt will also stick to it but who knows...

I clean my chains with a light weight motor oil and brush (bit of 'old school' knowledge from my grandfather). I don't like using solvents because, as Joe Nardy says, they can suck the lube out of the rollers and also dry out o-rings.

BTW, if your chain is really dry try soaking it in engine oil overnight (after cleaning), wipe it off really well, then apply a chain lube.

I've read and heard all kinds of tips on chain lube. I have an open opinion and would like to know what everyone else thinks.

Comment

Working...
                              X