Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any suggestions on what to use for chain lube???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No need to lubricate the chain. It's already between the #2 and #3 cylinders, and engine oil lubricates it full time.

Very amusing thread...

Comment

I use both the Maxima chain wax and the PJ1 stuff. I've been really happy with both. I remember back in the good ol days hearing about racers who would soak their chains in a tray of vaseline that had been heated up until the vaseline turned to a liquid and kept that way until it soaked into the chain before returning to a "grease" state. Sounded good back then but I don't mind admitting that I never had the patience to try it. Instead, I've preferred spraying wax on immediately after returning home from a ride.
      FWIW, to minimize overspray or dripping, I place a plastic shopping bag directly under the chain as I spray it to catch any drips and use a another plastic shopping bag as a glove when I wrap it around the chain and slide it through my closed fist. Definitely minimizes the mess.
      Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
      '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
      '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
      '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Yet another vote for Maxima chain wax. It stays on until you take it off. I put a really thick coat before long trips and haven't experienced any need to adjust the chain between oilchanges.

Comment

Tri-flon/Tri-flow. Used it on my NEW GS1000 (1979) and got 44,000 miles out of the original chain. Have tried others and nothing seems better.

Downside: smells like bananas

Comment

man ohh man

am i glad you guys asked and answered this ..

ive been useing chapstick.. and boy is it expensive..
            i also tried vasiline intensive care hand lotion . but the girl keeps nicking it..

well last time i had one.. any way keep up the good work here boys and girls ..
            really i have tried the motuol stuff .. o.k. bel ray .. same . and now what

fuchs - silkolene pro chain .. ahh yeah ... o.k. but i must try that stuff you guys are on about...
            ither that or get somemore chapstick..

Comment

Working...
            X