Head Ache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head Ache

First Post so be easy on me. I tried search and can't find answer.
    I have a Cylinder head issue. I have a GS1100e 1983 model bone stock.When I bought it last year it ran great but had a little exhaust leak around the pipe and was missing the Flange. So with all my wisdumb I decided to change the stock exhaust to a header. Well I am still tring almost a year later. I won't bore you with the stories of drilling,epoxing,solidering,taping,removal and reinstallation of head it would take days. What I have is a head that is no good for nothing except parts. So I rounded up another head with no cam caps or followers. {no problem I could use my parts head} Did a backyard valve job lapped valves and installed head noticed problem when I tried to turn the motor to adjust valves.STUCK! cam caps are to tight. So I have a 1985 750es sixteen valve head in great shape looks like it will bolt on. I know it has a smaller chamber and smaller valves I guess what I need to know if any one has ever done this swap and if so was the compression to high to run pump gas. Don't really care speed just gen transportation I never turn this one past 7000.I also have another 1100 big bore and a busa for speed.

I know someone has tried this or knows someone that has any help would be great also if 1100 head could be line bored or not and maybe cost?

Not to hijack the post but how did you pull your head off?
    My 83 GS1100E has been giving me the pains trying to remove the head just to change to gaskets.
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

no problem I saw your post I was wondering if you removed the 10mm headed bolts on the base outside even with plugs. head is held with 3 8mm bolts and 12 10mm head studs make sure to take out the ones on the end where the valve cover bolts too. Once I did that hit it a couple times with rubber hammer a wala poped right up.Hope this helps.

Rembember it also has 2 dowell pins 1 on each end look at the new gasket.force right where it's stuck is best.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2006, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Don't waste your time with that 750 head. There are too many 1100 heads out there and they aren't that expensive either. ( Not yours Chef (-

Comment

Originally posted by SyberNeck
          First Post so be easy on me. I tried search and can't find answer.
          I have a Cylinder head issue. I have a GS1100e 1983 model bone stock.When I bought it last year it ran great but had a little exhaust leak around the pipe and was missing the Flange. So with all my wisdumb I decided to change the stock exhaust to a header. Well I am still tring almost a year later. I won't bore you with the stories of drilling,epoxing,solidering,taping,removal and reinstallation of head it would take days. What I have is a head that is no good for nothing except parts. So I rounded up another head with no cam caps or followers. {no problem I could use my parts head} Did a backyard valve job lapped valves and installed head noticed problem when I tried to turn the motor to adjust valves.STUCK! cam caps are to tight. So I have a 1985 750es sixteen valve head in great shape looks like it will bolt on. I know it has a smaller chamber and smaller valves I guess what I need to know if any one has ever done this swap and if so was the compression to high to run pump gas. Don't really care speed just gen transportation I never turn this one past 7000.I also have another 1100 big bore and a busa for speed.

I know someone has tried this or knows someone that has any help would be great also if 1100 head could be line bored or not and maybe cost?
          So you used your OLD cam caps from head #1, on the second used head #2???

OK, THATS your problem, heads are precision line bored at the factory, and cam caps cannot be interchanged. You need to find a complete head w/ caps, and preferably cams too.

Comment

Ideally you don't even want to use different cams, especially on a used head. But that's just an opinion.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
            X