Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna S headaches :*(

Hi,
    I just got my Dyna S and discovered that it doesn't fit into my motorcycle :*(. There are at least two issues. The biggest is that the pickup plate is too big to fit into my GS300L. The second issue is that my bike only has two screw holes for the pickup plate, and they don't come close to aligning to the Dyna S.
    So I have three options,

1. Try to transfer the Dyna S pickups onto the
    original GS300L plate.
    2. Hack-up the Dyna S plate and try to get it to fit.
    3. Sell off the bike to try to get some money.

Ok,
    After several hair pulling moments I sort of got my Dyna S to work. What a nightmare . Anyway, The 1-4 side has T, F and a | mark. The 2-3 side only has a T mark. What do I do to time the 2-3 cylinder when fully advanced? The manual said to time 1-4 by using the hash | mark that is to the right of F when in the full advance position. Confused...

Thank you,
    intercessor
    Last edited by Guest; 08-12-2006, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by intercessor
      Ok,
      After several hair pulling moments I sort of got my Dyna S to work. What a nightmare . Anyway, The 1-4 side has T, F and a | mark. The 2-3 side only has a T mark. What do I do to time the 2-3 cylinder when fully advanced? The manual said to time 1-4 by using the hash | mark that is to the right of F when in the full advance position. Confused...

Thank you,
      intercessor
      Wow, good job of sticking with it!!!!

Comment

Well I still have some issues getting it to fit properly. The only tools I had to work on it were an old hack saw and a battery powered drill. Not my idea of fun... But, I still have that question about timing 2-3.

Good day

Comment

Here is the advance. Not sure what to do with the 2-3 side...

Comment

No one has any idea what how to time the ignition? Please :-D...

Comment

It would probably help if you told us the year of your bike.
              I just checked the factory manual for my 83 GS1100E, and it doesn't even mention setting the timing. Must be automagic.

Comment

After looking at your advance, it looks like you just set the 1-4 and the 2-3 has to follow suit. I checked one of my Kaw books, and that is what it does.

Comment

Hi,
                  Do twins fire 180 degrees opposite? Also I noticed some bikes have two hash marks for the advance markings but this advance only has one. Is it possible that the dot in between 1.4 is significant?

Thanks

Comment

The dyna comes from the factory with the 2,3 pickup properly aligned on the breaker plate 180 deg from the 1,4 pickup. I have never had to change the alignment/timing of the 2,3 crank trigger. Just set the timing by the 1,4 side and it will be fine. The 2,3 will normally be OK.

E.

Originally posted by intercessor View Post
                    Ok,

Thank you,
                    intercessor
                    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Well the problem is that the Dyna S plate was no where near the right size & shape for my bike, so I had to do a horrible hack job just to mount it. To make matters even worse, the mech. adv. wobbles of center. So I had to move both pick-ups so the adv. would not hit them :*(
                      Not sure if the advance is bent or perhaps it is the size of the bolt holding it on. The Dyna S fixed all of my ignition problems but it just wasn't made to fit my bike...

Comment

The first thing you need to do is get the mechanical advance and rotor assembly to run true. The engine is never going to run smoothly if the rotor is wobbling around the whole time.

E.

Originally posted by intercessor View Post
                        Well the problem is that the Dyna S plate was no where near the right size & shape for my bike, so I had to do a horrible hack job just to mount it. To make matters even worse, the mech. adv. wobbles of center. So I had to move both pick-ups so the adv. would not hit them :*(
                        Not sure if the advance is bent or perhaps it is the size of the bolt holding it on. The Dyna S fixed all of my ignition problems but it just wasn't made to fit my bike...
                        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                        X