charging problem with 80 gs750e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

charging problem with 80 gs750e

I took the bike for a ride first thing this spring and have had problems ever since. That first ride the bike wouldn't re-start after stopping for gas.. I installed a voltmeter to monitor the voltage right away.
    When the bike is cold (after charging the battery overnight) the bike starts fine with 13 volts or so. the voltmeter shows the voltage going up when I rev it. It goes to 14.5 @ 4-5k rpm, looks good right, but I ride for 15 minutes, the the voltage drops right down to battery voltage (12.5 or less). this exact scenario will happen everyday if I want. I rewired the fuse panel(to +bat), new frame ground (to -bat), new r/r ground, cleaned/replaced all connections related to the r/r and stator, checked no-load stator volts ( from 25 to 85 vac depending on rpm). I thought that was marginal so I installed a new stator yesterday,tested the no-load output again and it was the same, so my old stator was fine. took it for a ride and 15 min later it stopped charging totally- went to 12 volts. the battery is one year old and the level is good......
    what the hell is going on, I'm ready to ghost ride the dam thing

any ideas would help, thanks

Voltage regulator going bad?

Comment

Originally posted by groundnpound
      I took the bike for a ride first thing this spring and have had problems ever since. That first ride the bike wouldn't re-start after stopping for gas.. I installed a voltmeter to monitor the voltage right away.
      When the bike is cold (after charging the battery overnight) the bike starts fine with 13 volts or so. the voltmeter shows the voltage going up when I rev it. It goes to 14.5 @ 4-5k rpm, looks good right, but I ride for 15 minutes, then the voltage drops right down to battery voltage (12.5 or less). this exact scenario will happen everyday if I want. I rewired the fuse panel(to +bat), new frame ground (to -bat), new r/r ground, cleaned/replaced all connections related to the r/r and stator, checked no-load stator volts ( from 25 to 85 vac depending on rpm). I thought that was marginal so I installed a new stator yesterday,tested the no-load output again and it was the same, so my old stator was fine. took it for a ride and 15 min later it stopped charging totally- went to 12 volts. the battery is one year old and the level is good......
      what the hell is going on, I'm ready to ghost ride the dam thing

any ideas would help, thanks
      You are getting this measurement while the bike is running, or after you've turned it off?
      Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
      "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
      1982 GS1100E
      1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

I would say it sounds like your strator coil is going on the blitz. the one inside the left cover of the engine. I have heard of the 80's haveing charging issues and thats why alot switch too dyna coils. 80 would be electronic ingniton right? or is it a 79 on the tag and still points?

Comment

the voltage goes to 12-12.5v WHILE riding after 15 min. and I just replaced the stator. Could the battery be going bad???

Comment

also, i've tried 2 (used but I think they are good) r/r's, and they both do the same before and after the stator replacement.

Comment

Working...
            X