Carb question - what are these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb question - what are these?

Anybody recognize these carbs? Supposedly off an old big bore Suzuki, guy who has them doesn't even know what they are, I asked for some #'s off of it, he responded that all he could find on them was micuni ??? Are these smooth bores?

Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
    87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
    99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
    15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Carbs

Looks like standard issue suzuki carbs. Not smooth-bores see pics differant fuel bowl

Comment

VM29 Round Slides ???

Can't tell the size from looking at the pic but I'd guess VM29 mechanical Round Slides. Look at the carb diagram's page on www.sudco.com

Comment

Originally posted by 83GS1100E_Tornado
        Anybody recognize these carbs? Supposedly off an old big bore Suzuki, guy who has them doesn't even know what they are, I asked for some #'s off of it, he responded that all he could find on them was micuni ??? Are these smooth bores?

Tell him to measure the ID of the throat (of the side that connects to engine, not airbox). That will tell you what size carbs they are.
        Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
        "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
        1982 GS1100E
        1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Thanks guys, but one question. What makes a carb a "smooth bore", and why are they so popular/expensive? Is the performance gain that great? I looked at some smooth bores on eBay, and they looked just like these, I guess that's why I was confused..........Thanks!
          Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
          87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
          99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
          15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

more pics

Have a look in the topic Smoothbore advantages there are some pics in there also

Comment

Take a look in the manual at VM29 Smooth-bore. I'd swear those are what you have.

Comment

smooth bore are total diffrent, look at the pic posted, the smoooth bore 29's and 33's have a 17 mm bolt on the bottom of the float bowl which gives you access to the the main jet and needle jet. you can pull the main and the needle jet with out removing the carbs through the 17mm hole in the float bowl. there are also 4 holes right next to each other on the filter siden not 4 holes, one in each corner. smoothies also have a straight throat if you open the slide all the way up it will look like you are looking down a pipe. the stock carbs have a bump out where the slide moves up and down. the straight throat is what give the smoothies it's name.

look closely at the sudco website they list the vm29's and 33's smoothies seperate from the regular vm carbs. and yes you can see the diffrence pretty clear between the 2 diagrams.

the carbs in question are some sort of stock vm carbs, not the race style smoothies. To find out what size they are take a caliper and measure the id of the smaller side of the carb. probly 26's or 28's
                78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x
                10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I'm going to go with VM26 stock GS1000 carbs. They look very familiar to me

They could be 28mm but only if they were imported to the US. They are most likely the 26mm stock VM carbs.

They are positively not smoothbores. I don't see a single smoothbore part on them. Even the slides are wrong for smoothies.
                  Float bowl covers are wrong too. Not the right arrangment of openings in the intake. Here is a set of VM26SS carbs.

Can't see the slides but you should get the picture

Last edited by Guest; 08-15-2006, 10:28 AM.

Comment

thank for the clarity Ryan. I agree. btw, nice 550T Did you have any trouble setting up the jetting for the pods and the Mac pipe?

Comment

just posted on ebay - look familiar ??

In today's new posts:

Comment

Working...
                      X