Gauges on a GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauges on a GS850G

I recently acquired an '82 850G and am cleaning it up and restoring a few things.

Overall, it's in great shape, but I'm not real happy with the speedo and tach. They both work, but the needles jump around a lot and the trip meter is kaput.

Could new cables, or some cable adjustments help to solidify the needles? Does anybody have recommendations for repair or replacement?

Thanks in advance!

sorry but new cables wont help, the gauges use a internal damper to stop the needles from bouncing and this wears out eventually. the only practical repair is to replace them, because the gauge's are sealed and opening them is a risky proposition.

Comment

there are companies that make there living rebuilding gauges that do exactly as you describe, any dealership could point you to such a company.
      Dink

Comment

Did the same on my 81 850. I sprayed some WD 40 in the housings, cleaned and lubed the cables and havent had a problem in 3 years.

Comment

Thanks to everybody for the replies!

Since I'm cleaning up everything anyway, think I'll give the cable cleaning and lubing a shot and then talk to the dealer about getting them repaired/replaced.

-s-

Comment

Originally posted by Jay B
            Did the same on my 81 850. I sprayed some WD 40 in the housings, cleaned and lubed the cables and havent had a problem in 3 years.
            Go with Jay. I had the same problem, re-lubed everything and the speedo works better than before.

Check your tach drive at the engine to be sure it is OK. The cable end is prone to come loose. Check that too.
            Most fluctuations are due to cables and lack of, or inadequate, lubrication.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
            X