GS1000: Schrader Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000: Schrader Valve

I broke off one of the Schrader Valves at the top of my fork and now it's leaking oil. I went onto Bike Bandit and I didn't know if what they sold was the part I needed:

They list #21 as the VALVE AIR, but that looks like it points to the cap and not the actual valve. I think #22 is what I need, but they don't list it as a product I can purchase.

So, I guess what I'm asking is; where can I get the Schrader Valve for my 1979 GS1000E?

Thanks in advance,

-Fran

I might have a spare if you need it. I'll check.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Wow! Thanks!
      Right now I plugged it off with a bolt, but I'm guessing it would be better to have the valve in there. I didn't realize I even had air shocks!

Let me know if you've got a spare!
      I would be eternally grateful!

Comment

In the mean time, it's ok to run the forks without air.
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Thanks for that assurance - I guess my other question is, before I capped it off, quite a bit of oil leaked out of the fork. I can't say how much, enough to cover the left side fork.

Should there BE oil coming out of the top of the fork?
          Should I top if off?
          If so, how do I know how much to put in?

Thanks again!

Comment

RenoBruce,
            Any luck finding one?

If not, anyone know where I can buy one?
            If from Bike Bandit, is the part number I listed above the right piece?
            I guess I'll email them, just wondering if anyone had any alternative sources or advice.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by baelzbub
              RenoBruce,
              Any luck finding one?

If not, anyone know where I can buy one?
              If from Bike Bandit, is the part number I listed above the right piece?
              I guess I'll email them, just wondering if anyone had any alternative sources or advice.

Thanks!
              I have two, but neither have the little air valve inside them. Does your broken one have the little air valve still in tact?
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

I think I can get the air valve - that's what the dude at the Pep Boys tried to sell me when I asked for a Schrader valve.

Cool! How much do you want for one?
                Shipped to Marlton, NJ 08053.

Thanks a zillion!

-Fran

Comment

Fran,

I did some checking on your part you need. It is still available from Suzuki. Order part number 51293-49001. That should get you at least the air valve, and maybe the cap, also. What you saw in the schematic was part #21 being available and part #22 not. Part #21 is supposed to be the valve AND the cap as a set.

I don't use bikebandit as a reference to parts anymore. They don't show the real Suzuki part number. I use www.alphasports.com They show the real part number, and also show if it has been updated to a new part number, as is the case with your part. Then I call my local Suzuki dealership and order the part. They are usually cheaper once you figure in shipping. They may not have the part in stock, but can usually have it in a few days. BTW, the new valve you need is only 13 bucks.
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Excellent!
                    Thanks for the advice!

<runs off to the local 'zuki shop>
                    \\/

Comment

Working...
                    X