got my gk to run off of fuel:),question about seafoam though

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got my gk to run off of fuel:),question about seafoam though

well,i got my '82 gk to run off of the fuel in the tank...what do you guy's recomend for cleaning out the carbs?seafoam or berryman's?i was told by a couple of people to pull the carbs and clean them,then others say to use seafoam or the like...do i want to do this before or after i change the oil?and what about lining the tank?...any help would be great

Damon

Products like Seafoam and Yamaha's Ringfree do help clean the carbs, ungum piston rings and remove carbon deposits from the valves. The problem with the carbs is if there is already a blockage, seafoam probably will not clear that blockage - it does help remove deposits, but for example, if you are having problems starting, you'll have to clean the choke pickup tube out manually.

With these products, if you do run them through the engine, your valve clearances may change as carbon is removed from the valve seats & valves.

Comment

i looked on the seafoam website and couldn't find info about if you can use this stuff with a wet clutch. i would be very intrested in running some thru my oil to help loosen up the rings and some of the carbon in there. i just installed a brand new barnett extra disc kit and would hate to give up it's grip, so i am a little hesitant.

jeff whats your experience?

-ryan
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Seafoam and Ringfree both dilute the oil if enough is run through the engine. With a 'shock' treatment, Yamaha tells you to flush the oil after you've run the tankful through the bike. I've never had any clutch issues when using either product.

I tend to use a small maintenance dose in bikes that are running, but not that well - and where they've been sitting for a while.

I must admit to being very skeptical about these products until one of the guys who helps me out occasionally took an old KZ1000 that had been sitting for years - the bike was WAY down on compression - and ran some Ringfree through it - after 150 miles the bike started to run well. After that, I tried Seafoam to see if it was better or worse than Ringfree - never came to a firm conclusion as both work - but I would probably use Seafoam more in the maintenance mode and Ringfree for a severe treatment.

Comment

Working...
        X