Buying from a Junkyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying from a Junkyard

I've never bought anything from junkyard and I emailed this place about a sissy bar for my bike and they sent pictures of one, it is pretty rusted and needs a new pad and they said it is $75. Does this sound right and are these places usually open to negotiation?

Front

Front Image

Comment

That looks pretty beat up for $75. I'd pass but that's just my opinion.

Comment

For $75 it should be in great shape. Tell the guy that, otherwise he can keep it. I got a complete header-muffler in next to new condition for $100.

Comment

You could probably get one from JC Whitney new for $75 or less.

Comment

I agree, that looks pretty ruff. I'd rather go new and fully chromed myself.

Comment

I wish $75, they look like a full setup would be at least double...

Comment

You might give this place a try. I buy from there and their parts are decent.
                CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …

Comment

too high!!

I bought mine with some rust and a broken mount.. for 20 bucks.. it has some rust on it but that was not what I was wanting.... it will be covered mostly by a travel trunk.. and the back rest will come off ( trunk opens into backrest.. no good to keep the rest on.).

JP

Comment

Tell him to keep the junk in the junkyard. I bought a beautiful one on Fleabay for about the same price.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366
                      Tell him to keep the junk in the junkyard. I bought a beautiful one on Fleabay for about the same price.
                      You've got that right! We have a huge bike junkyard here in Minneapolis, but most of the stuff is left out to the weather and is crap or turns to crap very quickly. But you bring it to the front desk and you'd think you were buying gold. I've told them many times to keep their junk. There is always other sources.

Comment

Thats a KG universal sissybar/luggage rack, which you see all the time on ebay. I have 2 of them for my Honda's and payed $20 each with no rust or rips. If you shop ebay remember these are "universal" so if they say it came off a Kawasaki...so what it will still mount to anything.

Here ya go:

If this stays at this price I may bid on it myself:
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-18-2006, 07:45 AM.

Comment

How are you identifying them as universal? They all seem different to me...

Comment

Originally posted by b1ackd3ath View Post
                            How are you identifying them as universal? They all seem different to me...
                            The front tubes are sliding, they bolt onto the top shock mounts. The backs of these have various holes that usually line up to whatever your mounting the back to.

Comment

I got one for ya

Originally posted by b1ackd3ath View Post
                              I've never bought anything from junkyard and I emailed this place about a sissy bar for my bike and they sent pictures of one, it is pretty rusted and needs a new pad and they said it is $75. Does this sound right and are these places usually open to negotiation?
                              Hey b1ackd3ath, I have a nice rack and sissy bar, rack is a bit rusted on the bottom but will clean up with steel wool easily, sissy bar and back rest are in great shape, no tears, etc. If you're interested let me know, I can beat $75 beans by a long shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X