Stuff on Stator Magnet..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuff on Stator Magnet..

I just recently removed my Stator cover and looked inside the magnet, on the bottom of it in a slight semi circle is this hardened light brownish substance that resists removel. I have an idea that it came off my old baked Stator and was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to remove it?? My local Suzuki delaer says that it neads to be clean, clean, clean. :? 1980 GS750E with 21,850 Miles

I don't have any problems with parts being clean, however, a magnetic path cannot be interrupted by a non-ferrous material. Clean it off if you wish, but it won't affect the operation of your alternator.

Comment

Guessing here, but it looks like two possibilities

1-It is baked on and, unless it has some discernible thickness it is likely
      to stay there and not cause any problem

or

2- You SHOULD have the entire thing clean, so try a wet-type paper,
      180/200 grit, and keep it wet. Works best if you use it on a pad or block
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Stator Stuff

Thanks guys, I should have been a little more specific, it is on the seam of the magnet and the case that holds it, not sure if that clears it up or not actually... Anyway, There is not that much'stuff', I think, to really worry about just wanted to ask the experts. I'll reassemble and go with it, one more thing. What are your thoughts of a new OEM Reg/Rec. and a new Electrex Stator for compatibility?

Scott

Comment

That's as easy as 1-2-3, Scott. Go with Electrex.

1-They are a bit cheaper than OEM,
          2-They are a decidedly superior product AND
          3-They come with a two year warranty.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Stator stuff..

Thanks Argonsagos, you are well versed in this forum and I can see why, you know your ?+@#!!, I forgot to mention one more thing (I will get it together one of these days..) I have already purchased a new OEM Reg/Rec, will the two go together? or should I keep the OEM Reg/Rec as a spare and get an Electrex Reg/Reg to go with my new Electrex Stator???

Scott

Comment

Re: Stator stuff..

Originally posted by scottjm
              Thanks Argonsagos, you are well versed in this forum and I can see why, you know your ?+@#!!, I forgot to mention one more thing (I will get it together one of these days..) I have already purchased a new OEM Reg/Rec, will the two go together? or should I keep the OEM Reg/Rec as a spare and get an Electrex Reg/Reg to go with my new Electrex Stator???

Scott
              I greatly prefer the Electrex R/R. I would go with the Electrex R/R and sell the OEM one on E-bay.

Hap

Comment

Stator Stuff

Suggestion greatly appreciated, it will appear on Ebay in the next few days, thanks again.
                Scott

Comment

if it is brand new and since you allready have it. I would go ahead and use it. Just make sure to add an extra ground wire from the RR case directly to the battery ground (-). It helps the RR disapate excess voltage and help it run cooler

Comment

Working...
                  X