Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam chain tensioner thingamajig clicking

Hey GS Resources!

I can't tell you how awesome it was to find out there was a entire website dedicated to GSs. Anyways, I'm currently trying to ressurect a 1980 GS450 and I'm running into a funky problem.

The cam chain tensioner (I think that's what it's called) starts clicking and moving when the RPMs get above 2K or so. I lost my service manual a while ago so I'm kinda in the dark right now.

The thing I'm talking about is this:

If I hold it to the left, the clicking stops completely. Anyone know what might cause that?

Here's a cam chain tensioner rebuild, with lots of pics so you can see how it works. Yours might look a wee bit different, but they all work the same.

Is the large spring under the knob still in place? I do know a guy recently rebuilt his 450's tensioner using these instructions and the noises he was hearing went away. YMMV, but the parts are cheap and it's worth a try.

Your part numbers for the seals and o-rings may or may not be different, but the rebuild instructions should be pretty much the same.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

WillT gave me a cam chain tensioner at the Convention, he said sell it and donate the money to the JoJo fund. Anyone want it let me know. I think he said it was off an 850???????????????

Comment

Awesome, I'm gonna give it a try as soon as I get home.

Thanks!

Comment

So I rebuilt the cam chain tensioner last using those instructions and I'm still getting the same twisting jitter. What else can I try?

Comment

It's fixed!!!

Hey guys,

I read in another thread that adding 1/2 to 1 extra turn to the tensioner might fix the problem and it did!!

Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
            X