Throttle Response

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tconroy;

I will do the wd-40 trick tonight (if time permits) and let you know what I find. It seems as though it's pulling air from somewhere...as I stated, the intake boots are very stiff and when rebuilding the carbs, the o-rings were beyond bad, it wouldn't surprise me if the intake o-rings look the same way, I've never had them off. AIR AIR AIR...seems to be the main issue with this bike. One might assume that it is not only this bike that has a lean burn tendency. I know that everything that I've done to ensure that all intake fittings, air box fittings WITH STOCK COVER, vacuum lines, and petcock diaphragm, are all sealing tightly, have made huge strides in getting this thing back on the road.

For those of you who have joined in on the issue, before giving up hope, spend the time it takes to check all of these conditions first. It will save you time and money in the long run!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
      tconroy;

I will do the wd-40 trick tonight (if time permits) and let you know what I find. It seems as though it's pulling air from somewhere...as I stated, the intake boots are very stiff and when rebuilding the carbs, the o-rings were beyond bad, it wouldn't surprise me if the intake o-rings look the same way, I've never had them off. AIR AIR AIR...seems to be the main issue with this bike. One might assume that it is not only this bike that has a lean burn tendency. I know that everything that I've done to ensure that all intake fittings, air box fittings WITH STOCK COVER, vacuum lines, and petcock diaphragm, are all sealing tightly, have made huge strides in getting this thing back on the road.

For those of you who have joined in on the issue, before giving up hope, spend the time it takes to check all of these conditions first. It will save you time and money in the long run!!
      The boots may not look bad or cracked but look closely around the metal to rubber part that connects onto the engine.When I took my carbs off the boot seperated from the metal flange that holds them to the carbs.If you have an air leak at the intake your idle will go up when the bike warms up.

Comment

Air

Air DEFINATELLY makes a HUGE difference..... i havent had much time to work on my bike because of work and weather (i dont have a shop) n e ways... yesterday i tighted up all the boots, air box, and air filter the best i could... it made a HUGE difference i can now actually ride. Its the best its ever ran...

Comment

Originally posted by popeye0088 View Post
          Air DEFINATELLY makes a HUGE difference..... i havent had much time to work on my bike because of work and weather (i dont have a shop) n e ways... yesterday i tighted up all the boots, air box, and air filter the best i could... it made a HUGE difference i can now actually ride. Its the best its ever ran...
          COOL!!! im glad to hear that.I like heraing about one more GS on the road! Have fun and be careful!!!!

Comment

tconroy;
            Back at it. Took the wd-40 to the base of the intake boots last night and could notice no increase in the RPM's. Not to rule this out...I grabbed the starting fluid off the shelf and with the straw in place, again took after the boots. BINGO!!! We have a winner. There is a slight increase when sprayed on the #2 boot and slightly more when aiming at the #4 boot. I think that the straw was the trick. I'm off to the dealer to order new intake orings for the whole team. Also, thought that I'd ride it to work today...FUN BIKE...and when I pulled into the parking lot, I noticed that the idle was sitting at 1400, not the 1,100 that it has been set at.

Are WE getting close?

Comment

tconroy;
              Back at it. Took the wd-40 to the base of the intake boots last night and could notice no increase in the RPM's. Not to rule this out...I grabbed the starting fluid off the shelf and with the straw in place, again took after the boots. BINGO!!! We have a winner. There is a slight increase when sprayed on the #2 boot and slightly more when aiming at the #4 boot. I think that the straw was the trick. I'm off to the dealer to order new intake orings for the whole team. Also, thought that I'd ride it to work today...FUN BIKE...and when I pulled into the parking lot, I noticed that the idle was sitting at 1400, not the 1,100 that it has been set at.

Are WE getting close?
              Thats the reason for your idle increase!The o-rings will be flat and hard when you take the boots off.Be sure to replace those phillips head screws on your boots with allen head ones.You can get them at ace hardware or lowes and home depot.Get the stainless steel ones (6MM) and torque to 6 to 8 ft. lbs.Also grease the new o-rings with high temp grease to install.This will form a seal and also hold them in place.How do your boots look?Any seperation around the flange?The part where the metal intake piece meets the rubber boot?If all is well there I think after you replace the o-rings you'll be ridin for a long time buddy!!!If you run into a stripped phillips screw try clamping on to it with vice grips and tapping them with a hammer.When you get one screw out you can usually tap on the metal boot peice with a small block of wood to free the other one up.Thats what i do and it works great.Good luck and let me know if you run into any snags.

Comment

Still waiting!!!!!

If this were winter (MINNESOTA STYLE)... The o-rings for the intake boots would have been on the shelf. As is, I wait.......... On a lighter note, I won't have to buy the 3 gallons of fuel that could have been burned up this weekend on a planed ride, the third this summer that I've missed! :-({|=
                I'll let you know when it's back together.

Comment

Still waiting!!!!!

If this were winter (MINNESOTA STYLE)... The o-rings for the intake boots would have been on the shelf. As is, I wait.......... On a lighter note, I won't have to buy the 3 gallons of fuel that could have been burned up this weekend on a planed ride, the third this summer that I've missed! :-({|=
                  I'll let you know when it's back together.
                  www.bikebandit.com WILL have them and you can get them in 3 to 5 days or express in 2 if you want to pay the shipping.I order from the and usually get everything in 3 days!!!!

Comment

I gave up on the "One Size Fits All" shop that ordered the o-rings from and went to Bike Bandit this morning as directed, and reordered a new set, also picked up a swing arm chrome cap, and a spare air box slider clip. Hope this stuff shows up soon...50 degrees out this morning!!! :-x

In the meantime, I've changed out the fork oil and re-aired, detailed bike top to bottom "VERRY fussy", new tires front and rear, and final drive oil. It should be ready to ride!

Comment

I gave up on the "One Size Fits All" shop that ordered the o-rings from and went to Bike Bandit this morning as directed, and reordered a new set, also picked up a swing arm chrome cap, and a spare air box slider clip. Hope this stuff shows up soon...50 degrees out this morning!!! :-x

In the meantime, I've changed out the fork oil and re-aired, detailed bike top to bottom "VERRY fussy", new tires front and rear, and final drive oil. It should be ready to ride!
                      New o-rings and a couple of hours and you will be ridin trouble free!!!!

Comment

:-D \\/ :-P IT'S ALIVE...Runs GREAT and pulls hard through all RPM ranges. After the new intake o-rings (bike bandit is my new favorite parts site), I again went through the routine of set, reset, and plug chops to get things right...THEY'RE RIGHT NOW!!! It was back to the road. 165 miles later this thing runs great, idles down to 1100 and starts hot or cold with little if any choke. When cold, ie. this morning on the way to work, I let run on half choke while I geared up, climed on and road it 1/4 mile to the highway. Dropped the choke and held on~!

I'd like to give a special thanks to tconroy for sticking with me on this resurrection project. Not having wrenched on a ZUKI for 15 years or more, I was not aware of all the little tricks and trouble spots to look for. The GS seems to be an awesome bike,I may not part with this one...

Comment

:-D \\/ :-P IT'S ALIVE...Runs GREAT and pulls hard through all RPM ranges. After the new intake o-rings (bike bandit is my new favorite parts site), I again went through the routine of set, reset, and plug chops to get things right...THEY'RE RIGHT NOW!!! It was back to the road. 165 miles later this thing runs great, idles down to 1100 and starts hot or cold with little if any choke. When cold, ie. this morning on the way to work, I let run on half choke while I geared up, climed on and road it 1/4 mile to the highway. Dropped the choke and held on~!

I'd like to give a special thanks to tconroy for sticking with me on this resurrection project. Not having wrenched on a ZUKI for 15 years or more, I was not aware of all the little tricks and trouble spots to look for. The GS seems to be an awesome bike,I may not part with this one...
                          I just got back from the keys and read this Dave,but the thanks go to ALL the guys out there on the forum willing to help anyway they can.I was just like you last year having not touched a bike in 20 years and found this sight. Everything I passed on to you was also passed along to me in the same way.I'm glad she's running great now!!!! But remember, you did all the work and now you know that bike like you"ve never known it before!!!Knowing it will run everytime you get on makes it a joy to ride and own one of these classic bikes.Good luck to you and enjoy your ride!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X