Removing key while bike is running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing key while bike is running

Is there a way to make our keys come out when the bike is on? My 400 lets me do it but I think this is because the ignition is worn out. I've seen an 1150 that could do this but it was so worn out I could turn it on with my 400 key too.

So, is there anything I can do to make my 1100 ignition let me take the key out? It is a real pain having my keys tethered to my bike. Having two keychains or one which separates are both options that I do not like.

Thanks, Steve

Nope.

I have re-coded my new ignition to match my original key. From what I could tell while I had it apart the sloted key pins are what holds the key in. It does not have any part that is made to hold the key in that you can remove. The key is usually what wears out not the ignition. I like to keep a nice new key and use the copies till they wear out.

Comment

If you remove all the small "discs/plates" inside the lock, you can remove the key even if it is turned.

This causes that "any" key will fit into the lock, but it is not visible for antbody not knowing.

Did that on the door lock on my former car.

Comment

Re: Nope.

Originally posted by chrisdnoel
        It does not have any part that is made to hold the key in that you can remove.
        As a former pro locksmith, I can tell you that Chris is quite right. In the old days some car locks were designed to allow the key to be withdrawn while the car operated, and then to function as a simple off/on/start switch until the key was used to lock it down again (old folks - remember the g.m. cars like this?). My 2001 police model HD uses the old system. Your bike ignition is designed to retain the key except in the off or lock position. If the key comes out otherwise, it is due to wear and/or manufacturing anomalies. Of course, as Karl has indicated, if you remove the wafers that cause the lock to lock, you'll be able to get the key out. It sounds like Chris could offer advice as to how to do so, but I'm 20 years out of the trade, and without holding the lock in my hand I can't offer specific instructions.

Comment

Re: Nope.

Originally posted by chrisdnoel
          I have re-coded my new ignition to match my original key. From what I could tell while I had it apart the sloted key pins are what holds the key in. It does not have any part that is made to hold the key in that you can remove. The key is usually what wears out not the ignition. I like to keep a nice new key and use the copies till they wear out.
          I have an aftermarket ignition, after installing it I am left with two keys. One to start it and one for everything else. How hard is it to re-code it? Can I do it myself or is it better to bring it to a locksmith?
          Thanks for any input.

Comment

Harley-Davidson has a new locking system that only requires the key to 'unlock' the on/off switch. They also have a keyless pad that disables the ignition system. It's actualy quite nice. They keys go into your pockets and don't flail away in the wind.

Comment

Gerry:
              My dad just put a new ignition into our 97 RAV4 and it did not come with a key. At some point in the installation you put your old key in it and pull out a pin. The ignition then "learns" the new key. Very handy for a vehicle with valet keys, etc. Unfortunately, I've only seen 1 aftermarket ignition and they come with new keys.

On the other hand, your origional Suzuki key has a 3 digit code on it. You should try ordering an ignition that matches the key. They have put the same ignition on dozens Suzuki models so there should be something available.

If that doesn't work a locksmith should be able to do something. I've seen them talk about rekeying locks or making new ones match old keys. I don't know if the locks come as kits or if the replace the sliding bits. Hmm, where did my MIT guide to Lockpicking go? 8)

Steve

Comment

No worries from me - my key does that on its own already. Maybe a few thousand more trips and yours will too...?

But seriously - my key is so worn it's not funny. I bet it would even start with my car key. It's scary, though - I have to take it out of the ignition and put it in my pocket if I'm going on the freeway. On my way home from buying the bike, I just happened to look down at the instruments and saw the key literally sitting loose on the handlebar cover. I had to grab it and try to stuff it in my jacket pocket at 75mph....

I'm planning on doing just the opposite - I want to get a new ignition switch so my key stays in the switch....

-Q!

Comment

My GS1000 started doing that after 50,000 miles or so, and I ended up losing a set of keys. My 72 El Camino does it too.

Comment

IT's simple.

Most Suzuki Ignitions are the same. I collected several from a bone yard so that I would have extra code pins. If you take the ignition off the bike you can see the 3 little retaining pins drilled into the collar. These have to be pulled or drilled out to get the ignition appart. Next put the new key into the key hole and re-arange the code pins till they are flush. If any of the old pins are not flush you will need to replace them with new ones, or go without them. Once you put the ignition back together you can put over size retaining pins back into the holes that you drilled out. If you were able to pull the old ones, you can re-use them.

Comment

That doesn't sound to hard to do. I'll give it a try, thanks Chrisdnoel.

Hey Srivett, the cost of the factory ignition was way out of this world, I did it last year and I think the factory one was $200 and the aftermarket was $70. The wires were shorter than the original and the barrel for the key is about 1" shorter than the original. Not much of a deal but home improvements got the cash last year. Thanks [/quote]

Comment

Working...
                      X