82 GS850G fuel blowing out exhaust..please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS850G fuel blowing out exhaust..please help

Hey there...im new member to this forum, but have been riding and building for years now. I build old school 70's choppers and particpate in www.hondachopper.com regularly. Here though I need help with a 1982 GS850G. I bought this bike in excellent shape for $200. Came with Vance and Hines 4-1 exhaust and dint run. Well I found that if you actually use the correct ignition key the thing really does run....still havent told the guy I bought it from. anyway...its been sitting a few years so the carbs were dirty, but it ran. Only thing is that it literally throws a stream of gas out the pipe. I have cleaned the carbs and everything works fine, fires on all four when the plugs are dry enough. Timing and all of that is fine. Set the floats today and it still does it......while I had the carbs apart I noticed that it has 3 155 main jets and one 165 main....the book I have says its supposed to have 120.5 couldnt see what the idles said. Does anyone know what I should really be running? I screwed in the mixture screws all the way and backed out 1.5 turns and it still does it.

V/H 4-1 pipe, non adjustable style with baffe.
    K&N pod filters
    Everything else stock.

thanks
    swisherred

more

32k on motor
    Mikuni CV carbs

so what mains?
    what notch on needles?
    how many turns on the screws?
    need rebuild kits or just float valves?

Comment

my Suzuki manaul for '80 GS850G (BS32SS carbs) says main jet is #115.
      sure you were looking at the right supplement for 82? If you have the Suzuki factory manaul the first (bigger thicker) section is actaully for 78-79, and that says main jet of 102.5 but that would be for completly different carburators.

I dont think the one larger jet in the one carb will cause gas to blow out the exhaust. How about a failed diaphram in the petcock pouring fuel directly in cyclinder #2 intake boot? .... Pull off the vacuum line to the petcock and see what happens.
      Last edited by Redman; 08-14-2006, 08:40 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

diaphram

I looked at that thing and it really didnt look to be in good shape...but then again I didnt know what it was for either...I know there is always gas in that line since I installed a new clear line...I will deffinately look into that tomorrow. What is it for anyway?
        The number 2 carb was a particular concern for me since when I pulled the filter off gas poured out of it and if I turn on the gas and leave the bike off it starts pouring out of it again...think #3 also...cant remember.

I dont have a factory manual...have chiltons and haynes. chiltons had the 120.5 number in it. Haynes makes no reference whatsoever.

thanks

I did take off the line before now that I think about it...and gas poured out of the petcock with the fuel on.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-14-2006, 09:01 PM.

Comment

If you're jetted right and your floats are adjusted correcty and you have no obstructions from your air box it should be your petcock. Check Georgefix on Ebay. He has K&L petcocks that work well. You might be able to find a rebuild kit for it also.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

got it

yes that was the problem...now I just need to tune the carbs......oh, found 6 holes in my tank when I put more gas in it....think I should kreeme it or get another one or take it to a radiator shop to have it sealed?

Comment

Working...
            X