h4 bulb longevity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

h4 bulb longevity?

I dropped $15 plus shipping for a nice phillips vision plus h4 bulb for my conversion housing. one month later and probably 2500 miles and the low beam is dead. 2515 miles the highbeam is dead too. Both of the elements are rolling around in the bulb, no burn marks, cracks, or signs of trauma to the bulb.

Is this typical from the viberation on the bike, or just a flawed bulb? I got the cheapo bulb back in that came with the headlight housing, and am trying to decide if it's worth it to order up another "good" bulb or spring for a $5 cheapy from autozone.

Get a good one. My H4 Sylvania bulb is almost a year old (7,000 miles) with no issues.

Comment

I have had the same H-4 bulb in my 1150E for about 4 years. I use an Osram Silverstar. I suspect that if youre buring out bulbs at that rate, either the vibration levels are too high (maybe need a carb synch), or voltage levels are too high. Have trouble boiling the battery and having to add water frequently?

Earl

Originally posted by quiktrp
      I dropped $15 plus shipping for a nice phillips vision plus h4 bulb for my conversion housing. one month later and probably 2500 miles and the low beam is dead. 2515 miles the highbeam is dead too. Both of the elements are rolling around in the bulb, no burn marks, cracks, or signs of trauma to the bulb.

Is this typical from the viberation on the bike, or just a flawed bulb? I got the cheapo bulb back in that came with the headlight housing, and am trying to decide if it's worth it to order up another "good" bulb or spring for a $5 cheapy from autozone.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Don't touch the bulb with your fingers when installing. The oil from your skin will burn out these bulbs quicker then....

Comment

I fought with my bulbs for a year before the problems went away. I ran all new wiring to the light using relays (bypassed old wiring), no change. I changed the voltage regulator out for a more stable honda unit, no change.

Finally on the last time I tried, I got it right....I Soldered all my regulator wiring in place removing the old connectors, and took a neoprene mouse pad and cut it up small and used them as shock absorbers for the headlight housing (old rubber was hard). I have not blown a bulb since (was blowing one every other ride or so, and I have around 4500 miles on this bulb). I am currently running a phillips bulb, so I doubt that is your problem, although it could just be a defective bulb.

I think the rubber is what helped the most, although it was a frustrating process figuring it out.

Comment

Just something that I'll pass along, though I've yet to do it. Planecrazy uses Sylvania Silverstars that he buys from Wally World. He gets them in a two pack. According to him, the bulbs come with a one year warranty. So, if for some reason the bulb burns out before the warranty, he returns it and gets a free replacement. AND he still has the spare from the two pack. I've really gotta try this!:-D

Brad tt

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar
              So, if for some reason the bulb burns out before the warranty, he returns it and gets a free replacement. Brad tt
              Returns it where...Wally World or Sylvania?...gotta try this also!!

Comment

Originally posted by beby99
                Returns it where...Wally World or Sylvania?...gotta try this also!!
                Wally World, I believe. So remember to keep the receipt.

Brad tt

Comment

I have heard, but not seen with my own eyes, that sylvania in canada sends TWO replacement bulbs for each one that goes bad within a year - reason being, ... they suggest replacing both bulbs at once on vehicles and when one blows they send two.

My next bulb with be a silverstar, I had one blow before I fixed the bulb problem, but didn't know about the warranty, ...DOH!

Comment

My Silverstar has been in my GS850 for at least three years. I suppose I should get around to replacing it soon, and put another one in my VX800 while I'm at it.

I just put Silverstars in my wife's Toyota RAV4. Holy crud, what a difference! It's like taking sunglasses off at night.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the replies fellas!

1. Wiped the glass with a lint free cloth before install. Usually if they fail due to oil the glass will be discolored and burnt. My elements were just loose, with no signs of contamination.

2. Isolators? My stock bucket didn't have any, and the replacement didn't come with them. Maybe part of the problem.

3. Rebuilt carbs, did a bench synch, no vac or mercury synch. I am starting to think this may be part of my discomfort on long rides as well. Viberation is high, I just chalked it up to being an old bike. Maybe it's time to drop the $$$ for the synch kit.

4. The headlight swap at wallyworld is a great idea! Especially since that place is literally a 2 minute ride from my apt.

5. Water level on the battery is perfect, haven't had to add any water yet. Charge voltage IIRC is 13.5v at cruise RPM. If anything, I'd say I have a lack of voltage getting to the headlight. The wiring and connectors on this thing have definately seen better days. If I still have the bike this winter, I plan on pulling all new wire through it and replacing all the connectors.

Comment

Another option is to spend a couple extra bucks to get one of the heavy-duty H4 bulbs that is rated for motorcycles. You don't give up anything in brightness, but the filament and supports are a bit more robust, which tends to lead to a longer life.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'll look into that too. Most bike shops will carry them?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve
                            Another option is to spend a couple extra bucks to get one of the heavy-duty H4 bulbs that is rated for motorcycles. You don't give up anything in brightness, but the filament and supports are a bit more robust, which tends to lead to a longer life.
                            Frankly I don't know if that it true or if it is just "hype" designed to sell a more expensive version of the bulb. Have you directly compared them and do you see a distinct difference? If so the motorcycle bulb MIGHT be worth the extra cost.

I don't know where Brad heard about the warranty return deal, but I can't take credit for it. He is correct in that I DO buy two packs from Wally World and that this, in and of itself, saves money as well as allowing me to also have a spare just in case. I HAVE had very good success with the Silverstars on the bike -- the current one is on it's third season and several thousand miles total (I haven't been riding as much as I'd like lately).

One way I extend the useful life of the bulb is to ALWAYS ride with the high beam on during the day. The benefits are twofold ... First, the low beam is less likely to die during the night when I need it to be reliable and, Second, there is increased visibility during the day with the high beam on.

I've had poor results with the H-7 Silverstars in my wife's truck (Kia Sorento), and I really SHOULD take advantage of the warranty and get some replacements. Part of the reason I didn't initially do this is because when Wally World first started selling the Silverstars they mis-priced the H-7's and I bought two or three twin-packs for I think seven bucks each! Now that I'm paying full price it hurts when they die prematurely...

Regards,
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-15-2006, 11:46 PM.

Comment

By the way, where in Chicagoland are you located? We've got a great GSResource group here, and we'll look forward to riding with you! Big weekend trip to Galena and WI planned for next month -- hope you can join us!

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                              X