80 mph speedo on Canadian GS1100EX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 mph speedo on Canadian GS1100EX?

Can anyone tell me if a US 80 MPH speedo of the same vintage would bolt right onto my Canadian '81 GS1100EX without mods (240 kmh speedo as OEM)? Yes, the speedo does have to indicate correctly!

Al it should bolt straight in.
    Dink
    and it will be accurate as far as it goes.

Comment

It should fit.
      But what are you going to use to measure your speed in
      3rd, 4th and 5th gears?

Mo

Comment

It would fit but why would you do it?

Comment

Originally posted by HankV
          It would fit but why would you do it?
          My bike still has only 18,800 km (about 11,600 miles) on the clock. I expect to own it for many years, and I was considering buying a spare instrument pod as insurance. I can live with the fewer (and bigger) numbers on the 80 mph speedo, too - it's kind of crowded on the face of my 240 kph speedo! And, I only exceed 80 mph when I'm driving my boss' cars or bike.

Comment

I've got an 80 mph unit and would like to get mine replaced with he bigger mph unit, or recalibrated. I wonder if Suzuki sells the face on the speedo only? I kind of doubt it. I would then need to have the internals recalibrated.

Anyone know of a shop that does this? Or better yet, an article on the procedure.

Comment

Re: 80 mph speedo on Canadian GS1100EX?

Originally posted by Al Munro
              Can anyone tell me if a US 80 MPH speedo of the same vintage would bolt right onto my Canadian '81 GS1100EX without mods (240 kmh speedo as OEM)? Yes, the speedo does have to indicate correctly!
              OK...this is a switch, Al. I get to make a legal suggestion to you.

I have some recollection that you are not allowed to install MPH only units on motor vehicles in Canada, but it may be OK if the mph unit also shows kilometres..
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
                I have some recollection that you are not allowed to install MPH only units on motor vehicles in Canada, but it may be OK if the mph unit also shows kilometres..
                This one shows kph, too, but with much bigger numbers! No excuses for speeding now.

Comment

I dont know about where you live Al, but in my town, one thing you will NEVER see is a police car observing the speed limit. :-)

Earl

This one shows kph, too, but with much bigger numbers! No excuses for speeding now.
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

What???
                    A biker who wants to lose a reasonable excuse for speeding???
                    Keep the one with the smaller numbers, and eat more carrots! There are no breath tests, and you never have to admit to eating carrots.

Seriously, here is another (small?) point to consider:

Odometer readings are retained by the Ministry of Transport in some Provinces. ( I don't know about yours) You may have to amend the new MPH unit reading to reflect something close to your existing readings, and get a written statement from some Provincially recognized authority to confirm the reading is valid, and that the new unit works.

Don't know how this affects an older bike, such as yours (or mine), but it may have to be dealt with.
                    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

You may have to amend the new MPH unit reading to reflect something close to your existing readings, and get a written statement from some Provincially recognized authority to confirm the reading is valid, and that the new unit works.
                      I need to get the last word on this, but I think that here in BC the only time you have to worry about this is when you sell the vehicle. I know you have to record the odometer reading on the transfer of vehicle ownership documents, and declare if the odometer accurately reflects the mileage. If not accurate, you have to provide the actual mileage (or estimate). These records catch a lot of used car salescrooks when burned owners find the car has dropped 100k since sold last time. Cars are emissions tested here, and owners provide the mileage when the testing is done, but that's more to build a statistical database on expected emissions levels than anything else.
                      Anyway, I'm okay until the old one breaks!

Comment

Working...
                      X