quick exhuast question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quick exhuast question

You know how the stock pipes have six holes arranged in a circle at the back? If you drill some more holes next to those existing holes, will the bike be any louder?

I'm not to start trouble or be obnoxious, but I would like just a slightly louder exhaust noise.

Thanks.

Originally posted by SuperCell
    You know how the stock pipes have six holes arranged in a circle at the back? If you drill some more holes next to those existing holes, will the bike be any louder?

I'm not to start trouble or be obnoxious, but I would like just a slightly louder exhaust noise.

Thanks.
    need more info. What model year and is it stock.You could go to 4into1 system if you want noise.I woild not drill holes, you have a baffel in there and it probably wont make it louder unless you took the baffel out but that's not a good idea either.

Comment

Ya know I was just wondering about this. I have a 81 GS1100e and have 6 holes surrounding one larger one. Three of the holes look like they were brazed or welded shut. Is this they way they came or has the previous owner made (or thought he was) an enhancement of some kind ?

Comment

Originally posted by Devilwinner
        Ya know I was just wondering about this. I have a 81 GS1100e and have 6 holes surrounding one larger one. Three of the holes look like they were brazed or welded shut. Is this they way they came or has the previous owner made (or thought he was) an enhancement of some kind ?
        It was probably rattling so he thought that would take care of it.They are suppose to be open.The baffle is behind there.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperCell

Thanks.
          If you want a louder exhaust, buy a different exhaust and keep your stock one as it is. Then if you want to go back to a stock set-up you can.

Older exhausts are often worth a good bit of money in good condition. If you drill holes, you make your valuable stock exhaust essentially worthless. You also might have to do some carb work to compensate for the loss of back pressure, if the holes actually do anything.

I guess what I'm saying is this.

DON'T DO IT! :-D

Comment

I have a 80 GS850GL with the 6 holes around the side, but it does not have a center hole. I have seen other years with the same pipes with 6 holes around the side but they also have the center hole. The sound I get at idle has a lot of little pops because of the 6 little holes, I have been thinking of drilling out a center hole to get a better sound from these pipes. Has anyone tried this? Seems like it would be OK since other models have a hole there....
            Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X