gear selector oil seal replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gear selector oil seal replacement

I ride a GR650, a bastard child of GS series, big brother of GS400?

Among other problems I have blown the oil seal for the gear selector rod as it passes into engine case.

Can I simply gouge the old dead one out and drive in a new one with a suitable drift with the engine in frame...toooo easy? minimum dismantle

Or will I have to pull the engine out of frame and dismantle it to replace this one oil seal? Toooo horrible to think about.

Advice opinion much appreciated.

Leon
    Oztralia

Yes you can, but be CAREFUL and make certain the whole area is cleaned and degreased before you try.
    Dink
    Also in Oz

Comment

Oil Seals on a 450

I'm replacing the oil seals on a gs450l. I had to replace that same oil seal.
      To get it out - use a drill (very gently and slowly - don't want to go too far) then put some screws into the seal and it will come out easy. Or you might be able to just screw the screws in by themselves without drilling.

Another trick I found to getting the seal in was to heat up the area with a heater and a hair dryer (it's cold here around 32 F), that really helped the seal slide in easier - also some oil around the edges might help.

Be sure you find a good "tool" to push the seal in with so that it does so evenly and doesn't get torn up.

(Be advised - I am an amateur at this sort of thing - and am offering advice only from personal experience)
      -Ben

Comment

Replacing oil seal

Many thanks,

I am foolish enough to try to replace this oil seal myself..I was dreading the thought of having to drop motor out to get at it. I am now more relaxed.

Ive done similar seals on xs750 yam no problems. But that was some years ago. I forget the bad bits and only remember the good bits.

Leon

Comment

Working...
        X