Non charging GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non charging GS750

Can anybody help me? My 1977 GS750DB has been recently rebuilt by me - complete from the frame up. My problem is now that I have it back all together it will not charge. I have had the alternator checked and re-wound, put in a brand new rectifier/regulator and bought a brand new battery as well. When the bike is started a charge is coming out of the alternator and going to the reg/rec but when it gets to the battery it is completely gone. I have wired the reg/rec directly to the battery. If I disconnect the reg/rec from the battery and test it I am getting lots of voltage out of it. If I wire the reg/rec to a battery on it's own and not connected to the bike it will charge it at about 14.5 voltes as normal. The loom seems to be draining the charge. Has anybody any ideas? Please help
    Cheers Sconz

P.S. Does anybody know where I might get a manual for my 1980 GS1000S?

Re: Non charging GS750

I would put a meter inline on the battery ground wire to measure amperage/flow. If with everything shut off on the bike, there is current flow, I would leave the meter hooked up and check fuses.
    In your fuse box there are 4 or 5 fuses and each one powers specific things. Pull one fuse at a time, check for current flow, reinstall fuse and try the next one. This way you will at least be able to isolate the functions that you will need to check to find the short/cause. Once you know what group of functions the problem is in, you can use a wiring diagram to one by one disconnect the wires in those applications to isolate the bad wire or connection.

Earl

Originally posted by sconz
    Can anybody help me? My 1977 GS750DB has been recently rebuilt by me - complete from the frame up. My problem is now that I have it back all together it will not charge. I have had the alternator checked and re-wound, put in a brand new rectifier/regulator and bought a brand new battery as well. When the bike is started a charge is coming out of the alternator and going to the reg/rec but when it gets to the battery it is completely gone. I have wired the reg/rec directly to the battery. If I disconnect the reg/rec from the battery and test it I am getting lots of voltage out of it. If I wire the reg/rec to a battery on it's own and not connected to the bike it will charge it at about 14.5 voltes as normal. The loom seems to be draining the charge. Has anybody any ideas? Please help
    Cheers Sconz

P.S. Does anybody know where I might get a manual for my 1980 GS1000S?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I agree with Earl as to checking, but I suspect the problem is more immediate, since you say there is a strong R/R output, and you did NOT say anything about blowing fuses.

When you say the R/R is wired directly to the battery, I would guess you mean the RED wire is so routed, but the BLACK one (ground) is probably going the normal route, and is grounded to the frame and/or fusebox.

Re-check your grounds. ALL of them. Clean EVERY connection to bare metal, coat it with a nice dielectric lube, or just use Vaseline to prevent corrosion.

You should do this anyway, as problems will develop if you don't.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

On my bike, I have the red + from the reg/rec going to battery + terminal. The black - from the reg/rec has a 2nd black soldered
        into it so that I have double ground wires. One ground goes to frame and the other ground goes to battery negative terminal.

Earl

[quote="argonsagas"]

When you say the R/R is wired directly to the battery, I would guess you mean the RED wire is so routed, but the BLACK one (ground) is probably going the normal route, and is grounded to the frame and/or fusebox.
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

check grounds, as well as positive cable

Comment

I had to diagnose a KZ1000 that had the same symptoms, and the problem was a set of Accel coils that sucked up all the voltage that the bike could produce! We switched back to stock coils and the charging was fine.

Comment

Working...
            X