82' GS1100EZ 13 years garaged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82' GS1100EZ 13 years garaged

Cleaning carbs per the instructions on this site, and the shop manual. Just ran into a little problem as I get my first carb almost tore down.

The needle jet doesn't seem to want to come out The instructions say to tap it out with a dowl, but it isn't moving. I don't see an indexing slot from the top either. The shop manual just says "remove the needle jet from the top side" as the picture is looking through the piston hole. For reassembly it says "align the grove of the needle jet to the pin and replace it". Picture is looking from the float bowl side, and shows a pin.

My question is why don't I see a grove on my needle jet? And how can I get it out. I hope someone has run into this before. And I thought I was doing so good today.

Last edited by Guest; 03-08-2007, 06:27 PM.

Your main jet washer is still on. You need to remove this first and then the needle jet should come out.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366
      Your main jet washer is still on. You need to remove this first and then the needle jet should come out.
      The chef is dead on.
      You will see the slot once you get the jet out.
      Keep the questions coming, there are plenty of 82-83 1100E people here,ready to help.
      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
      2000 Kawasaki Concours
      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

spray it with AeroKroil first - really helps

If you don't know about this stuff, it's GREAT. I'm in no way related to the company or anything remotely involved with making money from this stuff so this is no sales pitch, just a reference. You'll throw rocks at Liquid Wrench after you try this stuff. No joke. www.kanolabs.com Like the guys said, the main jet washer is still on the needle jet. In the mean time, spray a liberal amount of whatever penetrant oil you have on it and then gently pry the washer off and tap the needle jet, a.k.a. emulsion tube, out with a wooden dowl. Good luck.

Comment

Wow! That was great, and the jet popped right out. Now I can go on with the show. This real time help is something else.

Wait a minute. I haven't found and air screw yet. Shouldn't it be in this picture? I don't see a washer either Or is that one with the small hole in it?

Last edited by Guest; 08-16-2006, 09:01 PM.

Comment

idle screw

here a pic with where it's at.
            i drilled a small hole in the plug and used a screw to pull the plug.
            but be careful not to drill too deep!
            Last edited by Guest; 09-08-2006, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Saved by the forum once again! After my previous washer problem, I thought it might be under there. But I'm trying to be cautious for a change. Now that the first carb is disassembled, the rest of them should go easier (I hope).

Comment

Hey Denydog, wheabouts are ya'?

Comment

Between Snohomish and Mill Creek. Unfortunately, the traffic is terrible around here. That's one of the reasons I stopped riding years ago. Seemed like it took an hour backed up in traffic just to get out to where I could have a nice ride. Must be good in Bellingham?

Comment

There are some fairly decent roads near Granite Falls. Woods Creek out of Monroe, Menzel Lake to Granite Falls. The Burn Rd, and Jordan road to Arlington are semi fun. Drop down Seattle Hill road out to Hwy 9 Sorta in your neck of the woods. Maybe you've already done these, just a suggestion after the carbs are sorted.

Bellingham has a few roads up and near Mt Baker Highway and off Hwy 9.
                    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Inspect the top of the needle jet for wear

Go to www.factorypro.com and select "Mikuni VL1500 Needle Jet Rebuilds" (down the left hand side) for a view on what a worn needle looks like. Unfortunately, I don't think they make replacement needle jets (a.k.a emulsion tubes) for the Mik BS series. If anyone on this forum knows of replacements, please post it. Thanks. The effect of this type of wear on the tube is an overly rich pilot mixture that's near impossible to tune correctly.

Comment

Working...
                      X