Cruising RPMs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruising RPMs...

So I've been on vacation for almost 3 weeks now, and return to work on Monday. Since I've been gone, we've moved our office to a new town, which puts it about 20 miles closer to me (the old commute was a two and a half hour 42 mile nightmare). Since I've had the GS only a couple of months now, I made a dry run this morning to see how the freeway traffic would be on the bike, and more importantly, how she'd handle on the chunky and grooved pavement at freeway speeds. The ride was well, but noticeably rough over 80mph (especially since I just fixed the preload adjuster on the rear shock and pumped up the fronts), and it was nice stopping for a cup of coffee at a roadside shop and watching the commuters exchange hand gestures while I was outside enjoying the sunshine. Bully for me - my exit is about 1/2 mile before the bottleneck starts...

Anyways, when I bought the bike I was given the stock front sprocket, and was informed that the guy I bought it from changed it so he'd have a little more grunt to keep up with his riding pals (sportbikers). I don't know how many teeth are on it, and the rear seems stock (older, anyways), but I'm spinning over 5 grand in fifth gear at 65mph. I was just wondering what any other 750E riders were showing at those speeds. I've got an '83 750ED....

On the way home, I made a tight right turn behind a car that suddenly jumped on their brakes after the turn to make a left without giving themselves enough time to get all the way into the the turning lane first. When they moved over enough, I hit the throttle to scoot by, and the front end felt a little unsettled, as if I hit a chunk in the asphalt. After I ticked it into second and the front end came back down, I realized it wasn't a bump after all.... The old girl's still got a few surprises in her...

As if I wasn't long-winded enough already, I want to thank Kevan again for the rear rotor - I threw it on this weekend, along with some new pads, and it's great. It's nice not having to clench up on the handlebars anticipating a jerky rear brake caused by a warped rotor. The front pads were still in great shape, so the new ones are sitting in the toolbox for later. Next is a full flush and new braided lines (after I get an impact driver to remove the stripped #@$&ing screws in the master cylinder cover).

Okay. Carpal tunnel isn't far off. Y'all play safe.

-Q!

Re: Cruising RPMs...

I believe the stock sprockets would have been 15 countershaft and 41 rear. On my 79 GS750, I am running a 15 and a 39.
    This gives me 63 mph at 4000 rpm and a very smooth, nearly vibrationless ride.

Earl

[quote="Q!"]

Anyways, when I bought the bike I was given the stock front sprocket, and was informed that the guy I bought it from changed it so he'd have a little more grunt to keep up with his riding pals (sportbikers). I don't know how many teeth are on it, and the rear seems stock (older, anyways), but I'm spinning over 5 grand in fifth gear at 65mph. I was just wondering what any other 750E riders were showing at those speeds. I've got an '83 750ED....
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Stock sprockets for a 1983 GS750ESD are 14/43 front/rear. Sprockets should have the number of teeth stamped on their side (e.g. 43-530 for rear sprocket). My standard ratio '83 GS750ESD does about 72 mph at 5,000 RPM's in top (5th) gear, and about 61 mph at same revs in 4th.

Simon

Comment

80 GS1000g 75mph= just shy of 5,000rpm

Comment

I turn about 4000rpm and change at around 65MPH (100km/hr), can't be more exact than that as i haven't replaced the condensers in the tach yet (to keep it from bouncing around).

Comment

My GSX750ES with standard sprockets is about 110km/h ( 68mph) at an indicated 5000rpm .
            Speedometer seems reasonably accurate at these speeds but who knows how accurate the tach is .

Seems a little low geared in that you are often looking for a 6th but its a good comprimise bettween cruising and accelleration for these smaller engines .

Dave

Comment

Working...
            X