1981 GS 450 starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS 450 starting problem

its my first bike. a 1981 GS450. it was running ok for a few months and then i left town for 4 days, came back and it wont start. the battery seems to be working fine (i.e. horn and lights work) but the ignition button when pressed does nothing. it doesnt sound like anything is happening like its not even trying to turn over. i dont know **** about bikes, so i was hoping someone could help me out in determining what to do. could the starter just go out whilke the bike is sitting? how do i check to see what needs to be done? thanks so much.

Basically, you have to verify voltage at various points in the circuit and the condition of the solenoid and starter motor itself. A multimeter will be necessary.
    I'm assuming you're sure you have a fully charged battery.
    If you can push-start it then you can ride until you resolve the issue.
    This issue has been discussed many times on this forum - do a search for all the detailed troubleshoothing steps.

Comment

Try taking apart the starter switch and cleaning the contacts on the RUN/OFF switch, also check for a blown fuse on the ignition system, check first if your batt is fully charge then check for loose or broken battery cable connections. Good luck

Comment

There is only one fuse on the early 450's, he'd have no lights if it was blown. Easy way to tell if its the switch is to jump the solenoid with a screwdriver (did that with the wife's for the first few months we owned it, until we finally registered it) just make sure the clutch is in or out of gear. The switch does corrode frequently so cleaning it isn't a bad idea.

Comment

Working...
        X