Cam Removal on bike 16v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Removal on bike 16v

I've got an 83 gs550e with a non working tach. The gauge and cable work fine so I pulled the valve cover and discoverd the tach gear was missing a tooth and the matching gear on the exhaust cam wasn't in too good a shape. I'd like to have a working tach on this bike so I need to replace the exhaust cam.

Can you replace a cam while the engine is still on the bike? It looks like a pretty straight forward job from the manual. Any pointers? Anybody with an exhaust cam for a 16v 550?

Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 08-17-2006, 05:50 PM.

Here's the cam

Comment

Bummer, someone didn't turn the gears into each other when reapplying the valve cover. Take off the valve cover then remove the cam chain tensioner.(loosen lock nut and tighten down the screw on the tensioner to lock it so you don't pop the tensioner piston into the motor) Check timing marks and count links between cam marks. Remove exhaust cam caps and remember where each one goes because they HAVE to go back on the way they came off. Remove exhaust cam and keep tension on the cam chain so it doesn't slip off the intake sprocket. Put in new exhaust cam and make sure timing is right.(make sure it isn't 180 degrees off.) Reinstall cam chain tensioner(do you know how to cock it and release it?) When you reinstall the valve cover turn the tach gear till it fits into the grooves of the cam gear.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366
        Reinstall cam chain tensioner(do you know how to cock it and release it?)
        How do I do this?

Comment

Are you the Brian Jones, the dead guitar player of the Rolling Stones?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366
            Are you the Brian Jones, the dead guitar player of the Rolling Stones?
            No I'm his much younger identical twin. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked that question. you know the saying If I had a dollar for every.....
            What's really funny I know a Jimmy Hendrix and a Jeff Beck When we're together it like the Rock and Roll hall of fame.

Comment

Originally posted by Brianjonesphoto View Post
              No I'm his much younger identical twin. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked that question. you know the saying If I had a dollar for every.....
              What's really funny I know a Jimmy Hendrix and a Jeff Beck When we're together it like the Rock and Roll hall of fame.
              Who the heck is Jeff Gordon?

Comment

My bud:-) Who is a rock star in my eyes.

Comment

WARNING !!

when you take the caps off, make sure you go slow and evenly.

If you can, try to keep pressure on the cam so it doesn't lift at all and then remove them.

Otherwise the threads will come out with the bolt. Personal exp on a 550
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-18-2006, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X