Higher Speed Speedometer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Higher Speed Speedometer?

Do they make a higher speed speedometer that can drop into an '82 1100E?

-=Whittey=-

I don't know but....

I think you would have to find one ina bone yard from a bike that is not an 81 or 82. I am thinking of looking into a digital speedo myself. They make them for ATV's, and they have lots of functions built into them. If they are universal they should work on street bikes as well. If I get one I intend to keep my stock speedo in place and mount the digital one to the handle bars.

Comment

The 83 1100E goes to 140 MPH but otherwise is identical to the 82 unit. It drops right in the 82 instrument cluster. (Just did mine).
      Don't know of any aftermerkets that would fit in the original mounts.

Comment

I never liked a digital gauge. Sunlight tends to play havoc with visibility and most of the time when I glance at a gauge, I see where a needle is pointing relatively, not what its exactly pointing at.....

Does anyone have a pic of the 83+ gauges for me to gander at?
        (http://www.bigblocksix.com/whittey/gs1100e/DSCF0085.JPG Current Gauges)

-=Whittey=-

Comment

Originally posted by Whittey
          Does anyone have a pic of the 83+ gauges for me to gander at?
          (http://www.bigblocksix.com/whittey/gs1100e/DSCF0085.JPG Current Gauges)

-=Whittey=-
          I can get you one this evening but they are exactly like the 82 except the speedo goes to 140 mph and the tach redline is 9500.

Comment

What about an 80 1100e? Any ideas on what to do with the 80 mph speedo?

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
              Sorry. I assume the 81 has the 80 mph as well?
              Do know the 83 won't fit, it's circular and 80/81 semi-circle right?
              Might be able to adapt the entire unit? But that would probably be a truck load of work.

Comment

what about speedo heads from earlier years??????

Comment

My 750ES has a 180km/h speedo , I think it must be a domestic ( Japan ) model , we often get odd stuff exported here .
                  Anyway that reads fast enough for me!

Comment

Get one from one of the 80/81 750/1100 from one of the salvagers up here in Canada. it's in km's but goes to 240 kph...or around 140mph.

Comment

Thanks Jon - I'll check it out. I never put 2 and 2 together about the ridiculous 80 mph mandated speedo being specific to the U.S.

Comment

Thanks Jon - I'll check it out. I never put 2 and 2 together about the ridiculous 80 mph mandated speedo being specific to the U.S.
                        No prob, we never had the lower scale speedo on most bikes; just like our RZ350's didn't have catalytic convertors either. Oh, and we missed that stupid cc tarrif so all our 750's were real 750's not 700's. Canada can be a nice country sometimes....

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Kramilius
                          No prob, we never had the lower scale speedo on most bikes; just like our RZ350's didn't have catalytic convertors either. Oh, and we missed that stupid cc tarrif so all our 750's were real 750's not 700's. Canada can be a nice country sometimes....
                          Yeah, but we still had those silly 140 km/h speedos in our cars. :? The trouble also with the 700/750 crap is finding literature on a 750 during the 700 years. My wife has a '84 750 Virago. The Clymer doesn't cover it, as it didn't exist as far as they were concerned. Most things are pretty much the same though, but I still would like to have the specs in front of me for carbs etc without having to buy another publication. :?
                          Kevin
                          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Hmm, I never realized up until now that my 88 Cavalier and 87 E150 both had 140km/h speedos. Does anybody know who made up this law? I usually burry the speedo in my van while passing people so it would be nice to know if I am going above the speed rating of my tires...

Comment

In the early 80's there was an aftermarket gadget that mounted to the back of the speedometer, where the speedometer cable should go, then the cable fit onto this little gadget. This little gadget, thru a tiny set of gears, reduced the cable speed by half, thus making the speedo show exactly one half of the actual speed. If the speedometer showed 30 mph, you were actually going 60, 50 mph waould be actually 100 mph, etc. no matter what the speedo indicated, double it and that was your actual speed. They would fit and work on any make or model motorcycle. Haven't seen one in years and don't remember what they were called. But they sure beat the heck out of the 80 mph. deal

Comment

Working...
                              X