Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the stator have ANYTHING to do with ignition system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the stator have ANYTHING to do with ignition system?

My '81 550 has the "solid-state" ignition, (no points). Now, does the electrical energy supplied to the coils come from a source other than the stator? My manual describes some type of pickup-coil on the right side of the engine, apparently independent from the stator.

I guess what I'm asking here, is can the engine run without the battery and stator in place? Does it supply its own electrical energy for ignition, from a separate source outside the stator/battery?

no.

stator feeds the regulator/rectifier and charges the battery , battery suplies power to the CDI ignition module, ignitors pick up crankshaft position and send a signal to the CDI , and at top dead center CDI signals to fire the coils.

thats prety much it,

the system can run on battery alone or the bikes electrical system alone but designed for using both together,

Comment

Hmmmmmm....

I'm going to be replacing both the stator and the R/R as the parts are original and, despite a new battery, the bike will not charge.

I'm worried now about the ignition system. Last night the engine died despite the battery being nearly fully charged. It appears to have weak spark, because it will start on ether, but not on fuel vapors. This is another problem, outside of the stator and R/R?

Are there any ignition components known to go bad on these older Suzuki engines?

Thanks

Comment

why are you running ether ?

anyway... the stator and regulator feed the ignition directly (so it will run without a battery) and the MAIN FUSE is between the battery and the rest of the bikes electrical system. Maybe and intermittent connection?

at 11.5 the spark is ok

at 14.0 is pat its max intensity

it will still fire with less voltage and less intensity

check how much voltage you get at the CDI one of those wires should have the battery voltage when the ignition is in the run position and the key is on

Orange /white wire i think ,

keep in mind that while you're bike idles, it draws 10 amps or more and with out a good charging system that could cause ignition problems.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Hopefully my parts will be in this weekend. Also, I'll test the voltage at the CDI like you said too.

Thanks a lot.

Comment

no problem

Comment

Working...
            X