Replacing Chain and sprokets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Chain and sprokets

Ive got a 78 gs550 that I want to put a new chain on. I intend on doing the sprokets at the same time but am wondering how much of a job it is without the chain break and press? or should I just suck in the $100 that the shop wants to do it?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Mux11 View Post
    Ive got a 78 gs550 that I want to put a new chain on. I intend on doing the sprokets at the same time but am wondering how much of a job it is without the chain break and press? or should I just suck in the $100 that the shop wants to do it?

Thanks!
    Buy the tools. Last time I checked JC Whitney had the best price on a chain breaker/riveter, about $70, and the mini press was about $20.

Comment

You might want to consider a cheap chain breaking tool. Makes the job of shortening a chain painless.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        You might want to consider a cheap chain breaking tool. Makes the job of shortening a chain painless.
        http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...014240/c-10111

I've got one of those, made by Motion Pro. Easy to break the tip so you might buy a couple extra for 'bout eight bucks or so. Still you need a riveter so why not just bite the bullet and buy the combo tool for $70

Comment

I used my dremel tool to grind down a link, then hammered it out with a punch. I then put in a master link. It was very easy and did not require dedicated tools.

Comment

Talk to the folks at Z1 Enterprises. I am in the middle of a chain and sprocket swap (on the 750) and decided to convert to a modern X-ring 530 chain. Z1 sized the chain for my bike and sprockets. Total cost with a master link was under $150. I used a dremel to cut the old chain off. No special tools necessary.

Comment

First time you throw a chain you'll never use a master link again.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Mux11 View Post

Thanks!
                I bought a small grinding wheel that has a shank that I attached to my hand drill.

I grinded down two of the rivets on a link and then worked apart the link with a large flathead screwdriver.

For the master link on the new chain, I used an appropriate sized socket and a big C-clamp. Just go slowly and keep switching between the two ends of the master link until you get it on.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  First time you throw a chain you'll never use a master link again.
                  If you install the master link correctly, you will never throw it (IMHO). Too many people either do not get the keeper in the groove correctly, or install it in the wrong direction. The closed end goes in the direction of rotation. If you put the open end that way, you are guaranteed to throw it.

Comment

I picked up a chain breaker at the local Farm and Fleet for $30-40 in the farm equipment area. I fiddled with it for awhile, and worked out a pretty easy way to turn it into a riveter too (a couple of carriage bolts to serve as press/anvil). I had already cut the old chain of with a cheap air cut-off tool that I picked up at Big Lots.

Comment

If you are doing sprockets and chain, why not just pull off the swingarm. Its a piece of cake and you don't have to break the chain. I took my new chain I got from Z1 and brought it to a local shop and he riveted it together for nothing. Then put the chain back on, check, replace or relube the swingarm bearings and you are good to go. Those swingarm bearings make a huge difference on how the bike handles.

Comment

Thanks for all the input!
                        Think i will take it to the shop and have them do it. seeing as i am selling it i would rather be more sure it is done right the first time.
                        Thanks
                        James

Comment

Working...
                        X