Tire recomendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire recomendations?

Have a 1981 gs 400, it needs tires what have you had luck/happy with? Cheers S.

It depends on your riding style and your wallet size.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Absolutely. Some people are happy with the Chen Shing, which are very low priced (relative to name brands). If your riding style is casual, you would probably be satisfied with them.
      I personally prefer Metzlers, they are a good combination of price versus performance versus mileage. But my riding style is spirited, so I prefer a higher quality tire.

Comment

Spirited=Riding like a madman:-)
        Last edited by chef1366; 08-20-2006, 01:47 AM.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          Spriited=Riding like a madman:-)
          Awww, dad...
          LOL

Comment

I've been happy with my Dunlop D404's. But I know a few people around here that swear by the Cheng Shin's. Metzler, Avon, Continental all make good shoes.

Comment

I've put Pirelli ROUTE MT-66 on my bike in February and quite happy with them.

Comment

Sometimes your choices are strictly limited by the sizes of tires your bike requires. For example, there are very, very few choices in 120/90-16, but dozens available in 130/90-16. However, the slightly wider 130 tire will not fit or function properly on a rim intended for the 120.

So what sizes of tires does your bike need?
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for the reply's. I ride "slighlty" aggressively. I don't mind spending the money on good tires, I am just not sure what is good for this bike. Right now there is a 3.25 by 19 (tubed) on the front and a 120/90/17 on the rear. I am not sure what size to buy for the front. 19 inch but what sort of width and profile. Someone suggested bridgestone splitfires, anyone use them? Cheers S.

Comment

I've had good results using the Spitfires, but some of the more aggressive riders don't care for them. I had a Cheng Shin on the front of my 750 when I got it, but wouldn't put another one on. The construction of the tire just doesn't have enough stiffness to suit me. It may be OK, but I wouldn't get one if there were any other choice. I had a D404 on the rear, it lasted 9,700 miles. I was happy with it, but decided to go with an Avon this time.
                    JP
                    1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                    1992 Concours
                    2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                    2007 FJR

Comment

A new set of Cheng Shin tires are better than a set of worn Metzlers.

Comment

I have something called a Duro onthe front and a cheng **** on the rear. I anything is an improvement.

Comment

Are new tires generally something you can install yourself or do most people just ride the bike into a motorcycle shop and have them do it? I'm a bit nervous about riding to the shop on the very same tires I want to have replaced. I think they are 10 years old and they appear cracked. They seem to have held up driving around my neighborhood though...

Comment

Originally posted by hughgee View Post
                            ..........10 years old and they appear cracked. They seem to have held up driving around my neighborhood though...
                            My situation exactly when I restored the GS650.
                            I took the wheels off and took them to an automotive tire shop who removed the tires. I then sand-blasted, primed and painted the wheels and took them back to the same shop with my new Pirellis and they were able to put them on with a machine. Not a scratch on the rims. I bought some stick-on lead weights and balanced them myself before putting them back on the bike.

Comment

I have replaced tires myself using a hand machine I bought from J.C. Whitney. But it was a pita; the next time I am taking the wheel and tire to a shop and letting them do it. Low profile tires are impossible to do by hand; it requires a machine. Personal experience with a friend's Seca II 650.

Comment

Working...
                              X