change Engine or overhaul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

change Engine or overhaul?

Hi, I have GS450L J which runs great upto yesterday, it had the clutch oil seal lose so the engine oil evaporate/leak thru it and within 400 mile ride i rode yesterday all oil drained just 10 mile from my home & now i got a bad conrod, bearing etc..., not sure what else problem, because didnt open it.

so what would you guys suggest? Repair it or change the engine to the GS550 engine? can it fit?

I admit 1 thing, 2 days ago my friends talk about a ride - all sponsored, to round the country. I said i want to join but i cant because its for 500cc ++ so I said, no problem, next week, i will bore the engine to 500 or change the engine with 550............... so you can say me and my big mouth...... or beware of what we wish for, you may not like it.

Only You Can Answer That One! How did Your Long Trip Go? Haven't Heard From You in a While. Sounds to me like Your Current Engine is TOASTED. I suppose the Logical thing to do is Compare Prices between a Rebuild VS a Replacement in Your Locale. Good Luck, However it Goes!
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Long jurney was ok, GS450L with its upright sitting
      position is great for touring

i took this jurney once a month since early this year ........
      I only hate it because its not fast enough .........

I still can ride this bike @3k rpm max - because i dont hear
      the conrod sound. above 3k rpm the sound start.....

hehehe 30mph max top speed waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

Comment

I would look for a later model GS500 twin motor, You will probably have to rework the motor mounts. MUch easier then trying to shoehorn a 550 into it

Comment

Oh man...

I'm gonna have to agree with the gs500 motors.. They can be had on ebay quite cheap and would be easier being a twin, then trying to go to a 4 cylinder
          1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

If you do upgrade, be sure and align the sprockets. The offsets may be different.

Comment

AUCH The gs500 is extremely rare in my place. I can only get the GS550 because it was widely used by Malaysian Police force before they change to CBX750.

I will open the engine and see what damage done.. then decide. hopefully i get a great result from the bike

Comment

Working...
              X