Master Cylinder Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Master Cylinder Rebuild

Hi all, I have a bizarre problem with the front master cylinder/reservoir on my 1982 GSX750SZ (Katana).

There's a...well, hole in the bottom of the assy, cast into the cylindrical part that houses the cup set. It's definitely supposed to be there, as it's clearly cast into the part. Except that, of course, when I fill it with brake fluid the fluid gushes out of the hole.

Now, it used to work just fine (well not fine, hence the rebuild, but work, at least), until I took it apart to rebuild it. I must be doing something wrong. I've tried two different rebuild kits, because I thought the problem was the first 'pattern' kit I used, but the OEM parts do not rectify the problem. I have some other GS stuff lying about, and none of them have this hole.

I really don't know what to do. Suggestions welcome!

You are saying that the hole vents to the atmosphere?

Comment

Yup, right to the outside. I'll try and take a picture to show it.

Comment

OK, nevermind. The hole has nothing to do with the problem, as when it is sealed it still runs out. Obviously the hole is situated past the seals, and the seals are not sealing. Now to figure out why...

Comment

Oh! I'm an idiot. There are two grooves, one for the circlip and one for the rubber bootie. I was trying to place the circlip in the bootie clip.

Heh, that sounds kinda kinky.

Anyways, problem solved. If you're doing this at home, boys and girls, don't do what I did!

Comment

Working...
          X