will gauges from L work on a G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

will gauges from L work on a G?

Have a 1982 gs850G...really like the placement of the fuel gauge and having a gear position indicator...what do I need to do to put these on my G model?

Look under your sprocket case cover and see if you have a see through plastic circular type deal with wires coming out of it. If you don't gear indicator isn't even an option.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by swisherred View Post
      Have a 1982 gs850G...really like the placement of the fuel gauge and having a gear position indicator...what do I need to do to put these on my G model?
      Is this question stated correctly?

What year and model of bike were the guages on originally?

What year and model of bike do you want to put them on?

A 1982 GS850G comes with fuel guage and gear indicator. Does yours have aftermarket guages?
      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

bike specs

the bike I have is a 1982 gs850G..all stock. It has the fuel gauge in the tach, but no gear indicator that I saw...will check again. I just really liked the layout of the L model and might be getting an L model tank since mine has several holes in it. will check on the sprocket cover.

Comment

The GL model tank won't fit your G frame -- the tank is much smaller.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by swisherred View Post
            the bike I have is a 1982 gs850G..all stock. It has the fuel gauge in the tach, but no gear indicator that I saw...will check again. I just really liked the layout of the L model and might be getting an L model tank since mine has several holes in it. will check on the sprocket cover.
            I have '80 and '82 850Gs. On the '82 all the indicator lights (oil, neutral, high beam, side stand, and gear) are in a separate unit that sits between the speedo and tach. The gear light window extends horiziontally across the top of the face. It may be that something is wrong in the circuit feeding the indicator. I would not think all 5 gear lights would be burned out.
            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

lol

actually...I havent ridden this one yet so hadnt put it in gear....never even saw the gear indicator...it works fine...

Comment

i know this much, you can swap out glasses all the way from a 550 too 1000. I have done it. Now what you may or not get is one may have a fuel indicator and another might not. junk like that. But it does take some messing around too do it.

Comment

I have a 81 GS850L, ordered 82 GS850G gauge set off Ebay and it had larger gauges, and the mounting bracket was a different angle, not able to fit over the ignition cylinder. The mounting bracket from my bike was not large enough to fit the new gauges. I had switch guts in the gauges to get my gauges working properly.

Comment

Working...
                  X