Reminder to check before you buy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminder to check before you buy.

Last week my bike quit running on cylinders #2 & 3. I assumed the coil was broke. I limped home and parked the bike. I didn't have time to check the bike and proceeded to bid on new - used coils on Ebay. I thought I should have them on hand for when I had time to do the repair. Well, today I fixed the ignition coil on my motorcycle. It's been parked for a week and I finally got a chance to take a look at it. I found that it wasn't the coil itself that was bad. It was a wire leading into the coil that had corroded and broke off, right at the entry point to the coil. I removed the coil, trimmed the wire and resoldered the connection. Then I covered the contact with some epoxy and reinstalled the coil. It started up with a little prodding and then ran like a charm. I do have the high bid on a pair of coils on Ebay that I'm still winning. I'll found out tomorrow night if I'm the proud owner of a set of coils that I don't need yet.
    If I do win I figure it will guarentee that my coils will last forever.

I think I bid on those same coils.. lol:-D
    That's a good point you made, though!! I didnt even think to check that. Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

You can retract your bid.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Had that happen to me on my old Dodge, Had it towed home. Was cussing at myself when I found the problem

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          You can retract your bid.
          I suppose I could, but I made the bid and I do try to be a man of my word.
          The bid stands and I'm still winning. I'm just glad I didn't order OEM parts $$$.

Comment

Well there were two bids on the coils. I was outbid at the last minute by $0.50.

Comment

I sell on Ebay and I wouldn't want to sell something someone didn't need. But half the time it's because people didn't read the auction description
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by honestdon View Post
                Well there were two bids on the coils. I was outbid at the last minute by $0.50.
                You were sniped. There are freeware snipe tools available if you are interested. I use Prospector.

Comment

Working...
                X