First Project Bike!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Project Bike!

Hi everyone, I'm new here, and I have to say I'm very impressed with the site so far. Anyways, I am the proud new owner of a '79 gs550 that doesn't run, at least, not very well. It has spent a lot of time sitting (the odometer reads 18,870). I'm planning on rebuilding the carbs as soon as my rebuild kits and carb dip get here, which I'm hoping should solve most of my difficulties. Aside from that, I'm also doing as much maintenance as possible (replacing brake fluid, engine and fork oil, adjusting the chain and suspension) to give it a fresh start, particularly since I don't know when the last time any of these things were done to it was. If you can think of anything that you would do to an old bike that's spent a lot of time sitting before you took it on the street, please let me know. I would greatly appreciate anyone's comments. Thanks!

Check your compression first. Then valve clearance. Then carbs. Do a search for Bench Synchronizing carbs and then vacuum synchronizing. Did you get the o-ring set from Mr. Barr. The kits are incomplete for all o-rings.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Probably wouldn't hurt to take a look at the fuel tank and petcock...
      1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

I would also recoment looking at the tires. If they are cracked on the sides, or have a flat spot in them, get them replaced.

Lube the chain.

Run some lube down all the cables.

Clean electric connectors, this isn't 100% nessisary, but would be VERY helpful.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to replace the tires, I checked the fuel valve and petcock (both are in good condition), and I've lubed and adjusted (tightened) the chain. I was curious about the o-ring set. I haven't ordered it yet, as I was hoping the kit would have what I need, but I guess it maybe doesn't. Also, I pulled a huge chunk of tank sealant out of the gas tank; does this mean I should try and reseal it? It seems to hold gas alright, but I want to play it safe. Thanks again everyone!

Comment

Go through and check your wiring also. Clean the electrical connections to prevent problems down the road.
            1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
            The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Working...
            X