Running on two cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running on two cylinders

OK. The Bike (GS650E) been garaged for 2 years. New air filter element, Battery, oil and filter. cleaned petcock, new fuelfilter. New plugs.
    Bike starts not a problem, runs.
    Bike sounds like it is running on 3 cylinders, more likely two.
    Spark to all four plugs, pipes on 3 & 4 too hot to touch, 1 & 2 barely warm.
    Think it's a fuel problem, but my old dad used to tell me to leave thinking to a horse (it's got a bigger head).:shock:
    Any suggestions on where to go next please.

time to disassemble and clean the carbs.

Comment

Lose the inline fuel filter, you may be starving the carbs for fuel.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy View Post
        time to disassemble and clean the carbs.

i concur... the fuel filter will not effect just 2 of them...
        1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Clean the carbs as Focus suggested. If the bike was on its sidestand the fuel made its way to 1&2 as the fuel began to evaporate from the carbs leaving 1&2 clogged more than the others.

Comment

You've just got to love this site and the expertise that's present
            Between posting my query and reading the replies ( as well as checking the archives) I pulled the carbys off. Sure enough, jets and filters blocked on 1 & 2, cleaned 3 & 4 just to make sure. End result, 4 hot pipes and that AWOL cylinder has reported back for duty.
            Just goes to show that you just gotta go back to basics every time.
            Really appreciate your help.

Comment

Working...
            X