Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

85mph speedo on bike that had 120+ mph speedo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85mph speedo on bike that had 120+ mph speedo?

I have an '83 Suzuki GR650. It uses the same speedometer as an 83-86 GS550L (per a parts cross-reference.) I had to replace the entire cluster on this bike, as the former owner crashed it. From a few different sellers on eBay, I managed to piece together a cluster that works and looks good, however the speedometer I bought was packaged poorly and it was received with the face broken. I glued it back together, but it looks terrible. (Plus, when I took the face off, I didn't get the needle back on right, and it reads 10mph fast.) It isn't worth the time recalibrating.. I just do the math. Hahaha.. You don't often see a decent speedo on ebay for either a GR or GS of the proper year.

So.. I'm in the market for a replacement speedo. I can get a brand new one from motorgrid for about $150 shipped, but I don't want to spend that much. The original speedo shows 120+ mph... if I installed an 85mph speedo from an earlier year GS550 (provided they are the same physical size), would it read correctly?

I saw someone had an instrument cluster for the correct year GS550 in the For Sale section, but they haven't responded to my inquiry as to if it was still available.

Any other ideas for replacements would be appreciated. The tach looks good, so I'd prefer to stay with a matching set (i.e., no white-face speedo and black-face tach.)

Michelle in IL

There are on-line used parts sites. One such is:
    CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …

You can give them a call and see if they can help. I picked one up for my Kaw for $40; it works perfectly.

Comment

Thanks - I'll try that one. I've called alot of other places and had no luck.

Comment

I know youre in IL, but Baltimore Cycle Salvage will mail you the part for a pretty decent price. They're really helpful and always help me out on my 81 GS850, and they have every part for every bike ever built. Give them a call, ask for Dean @ 410-962-1335

Good luck

-Max

Comment

Working...
        X