Cheap Gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap Gasket

I have a simple question, I have already changed the gaskets on my float bowls on the carbs (9$ a piece) but was just pondering over an idea, can you use that silicone gasket maker at the auto parts store for areas like the float bowls that come in contact with gasoline? I figured it would save money, or can you buy those kits that you can cut out the gaskets yourself, I also heard once that you can use a form of cork board or some material like that as a gasket? Also another question i was thinking about , how much work and pay would i be looking at if i wanted to convert a chain driven gs1100 to a shaft driven and if this was done off of used parts people sell from parted out bikes ? Thanks for your answers.

for what it's worth

i tried the silicone sealer once and found out the hard way that it CAN break lose and clog yer carbs

I have however used the gasket material you mentioned with good success....and thats the route i would go.

Hope this helps

Comment

I know this sounds a bit too "DIY", but I have, out of despiration, my own gaskets. First take High Temp RTV sealent (The red stuff) and sprmadeead on top of a large coffee filter paper. Spread out and lay ontop of wax paper, spread more on top of the other side and add another layer of wax paper. Roll out with a rolling pin so it is nice and thin. Let dry and peel away the wax paper. Now cut to shape and use. I use the old gasket as a template. I have done this on snowmobile engines before and the new gasket lasted years and years!
      Fo what it's worth!
      GY

Comment

Got my bowl gaskets here

$3.95 each.

Comment

Re: for what it's worth

Most auto parts stores carry gasket material in various thicknesses in 12"x12" sheets. The cost is usually 2 or 3 dollars and a sheet is enough to make a dozen bowl gaskets.

Earl

Originally posted by BikeWorx
          i tried the silicone sealer once and found out the hard way that it CAN break lose and clog yer carbs

I have however used the gasket material you mentioned with good success....and thats the route i would go.

Hope this helps
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

sorry but it is not possible to convert a chain driven 1100 to a shaft driven one, the engines, frames, and swing arms are totally different.
            you may find some one who will swap bikes with you, but i doubt you will find any one willing to trade down to a chain.
            shafties rule!!! :twisted:

Comment

Thanks once again guys i am sure i will ask a million more questions in the future to come but for now my knowlege banks have had enough. I just like to find inexpensive ways to do things cause god knows and so do all of us that bike stuff isnt cheap mosth the time and niether are mechanics (hence why this website is the bomb) Thanks and godbless

Comment

Working...
              X