Valve adjustment tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve adjustment tools

After waiting about 3 months, I went to my local Suzuki shop to cancel my order for the valve adjustment tool 09917-14910, which is the little 3mm adjuster. It had come in so I took it. Does anyone know what 09917-14920 is? I imagine it's an offset 9mm wrench, but that's just a guess.

Also, on my bike, will a small 9mm box end wrench work for tightening the nut....or isn't there space enough for it to fit? Thanks, guys!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

The 09917-14920 is the same type of valve adjustment tool as the 09917-14910, made for the Suzuki Bandit.

9mm is the right size, but if the nut is recessed a standard box wrench may not fit. I have the 09917-14910 adjuster and a 4 piece valve adjuster set that I bought about 26 years ago. It has a flat bar welded to the top of a 9mm socket, giving turning clearance to tighten the nut while the the 3mm valve adjustment tool fits in the center of the socket to engage the adjuster.

If I didn't have this kit and had to improvise, I might try using a deep 9mm socket with the 09917-14910 tool. The nut could be tightened slightly using a pair of vice grips on the top of the socket while allowing the adjuster to be held with the tool in the center of the socket. Finish off with a torque wrench to the factory specs.

Comment

Motion Pro tappet tool, absolutely the best tool for the job.

Ride On, Ed.

2005 GSF1200SZ
      1983 GS750ED
      1992 Ducati 900SS

Comment

Thanks

Thanks to you both. Philip, you're advice is absolutely awesome and I appreciate the Suzuki numbers. Ed, the reason I didn't go that route is because I already had that part on order for a long time and also don't think I'll be working on a whole bunch of different bikes...I've had a lot but this may be my last! That tool looks wonderful but it's more than I need. Thanks!:-D
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

i made one with a #2 square head robertson screw (the head fit perfectlly on the adjusting screw.

now you have to fix the screw to a small piece of metal that is gone act like a screwdriver handle (make it stubby , not to much room to work)

Comment

You could also use a piece of small id teflon tubing which fits snuggly on the 3mm adjuster. I don't remember what size tubing it is, but it works. Once the lock nut is loose, the adjuster turns freely. So the tubing is a cheap substitute for an expensive tool you ain't likely to use very often.

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolGS View Post
              Motion Pro tappet tool, absolutely the best tool for the job.

Ride On, Ed.

2005 GSF1200SZ
              1983 GS750ED
              1992 Ducati 900SS
              Ditto, best 34bucks ive spent in awhile

Comment

Working...
              X