Shaft drive maintenance??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaft drive maintenance??

My bike is semi stored for winter. Still available at a moments notice in case of warmer weather, like we had here in ky a week ago.But,

While it sits most of the time in the basement I have been going over it and tightening this and etc..

My question is this- Besides just changing the gear-oil and etc.. Is there something else I can do to the shaft?? Don't see a grease fitting on the bike either? Are there any on these bikes? 1982 GS1100G

Thanks
    Michael

I have an '82 GS650G.

Neither the owner's manual or Clymer's mentions any grease fittings.

Major adjustments must be done by a shop. Just change the oil.

Del

Comment

Just change the gear lube once in a while, and leave it alone. I change the lube, using Walmart 80W-90, twice a year, whether it needs it or not. I ride anywhere from 11,000 to 13,000 miles a year.

Another item to look at is the teeth that mesh with the driven gear on the wheel hub. Lube these teeth using a quality grease every time you change the rear wheel.

In all my years with GS shafties (since 1986), I've never had any kind of failure or problem with shafts or middle gears or rear ends. I did strip the driven gear teeth on the wheel as a result of not lubing these teeth. That happened in 1987. No problems since then.

Nick

Comment

OK, Thanks Guys!! Just checking.

Michael

Comment

SHAFTIES RULE!!!!
          sure beats the heck out of adjusting, oiling, cleaning, and replacing chains on a regular basis!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
            SHAFTIES RULE!!!!
            sure beats the heck out of adjusting, oiling, cleaning, and replacing chains on a regular basis!!!! :twisted: :twisted:
            I'm with you Leon!

Comment

SHAFTIES RULE!!!!
              Not to mention changing worn sprockets, chain lube all over the rear wheel, rear wheel allignment, etc..... I have always found it curious that more bikes weren't designed with shaft drive (probably a cost cutting thing)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lich
                Not to mention changing worn sprockets, chain lube all over the rear wheel, rear wheel allignment, etc..... I have always found it curious that more bikes weren't designed with shaft drive (probably a cost cutting thing)
                I'm with you Gary!

Comment

Originally posted by jojo
                  Originally posted by Gary Lich
                  I'm with you Gary!
                  Definitly cost thing. Why else would someone take something as perfect as a drive shaft and put a chain in its place

Comment

Shaft maintenance

FWIW, I have an '82 1100G with 57k on it. I have used BelRay Gear Saver oil exclusively for the last 40k miles. I sport tour but never abuse the bike. As much as I swear by shaft drives being the only way to go, its only fair that I mention I had a major failure occur several monhs back that IMHO was caused by a defective part. Having turned to the board for help, I know I'm not the only one that had this happen.
                    The secondary transmission output shaft failed at the base of the threads. By fail, I mean the shaft snapped. According to Suz HQ in CA, they're no longer importing the assemblies needed to repair this failure. I understand I got the last pair of assemblies they had in their warehouse.
                    The point that I wanted to make is that high end oil may not be all that its cracked up to be. I say this based upon a close examination of the pinion gear faces. I was surprised at the pitting I found when I examined them under a 'scope. I corresponded with a Chem Eng at Bel Ray and sent them the old parts per their request. A mech at Suz insisted that I use only API GL-5 oil in the appropriate places on that bike. I was surprised that the Bel Ray container did not state a GL-5 rating. However, their website claims that oil has GL-5 rating. From now on, I'm going with Castrol and changing it more often than every 10k miles.
                    Just my .02 worth.

Comment

Heh heh heh, :-) Yeah, right....I adjust the chain when I need to replace the rear tire and chain lube it one a week.
                      (takes about 1 minute) :-) Replacement is 45 to 60,000 miles. You see, theyre not making replacement parts for shafts anymore....but they probably will still be making chains for a few more years. :-) :-)

Earl

SHAFTIES RULE!!!!
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Being that I bought an extra wheel for my GS850 to get the hub gear. Mine will probably never fail I"M an EBAY JUNKIE and a forum junkie too!!!

Comment

I have over 128,000 miles on my shaft and it is doing just fine, my secondary out put seal has sprung a leak, but the bearings are still nice and snug, no play

Comment

Working...
                          X