Getting the tank off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting the tank off

I feel like this is a dumb question, so forgive me.

How do I get my tank off without spilling gas all over myself? My Clymer's manual doesn't give me any ideas.

thatdood

If you have a vaccum petcock that is working properly, you shouldn't have any gas come out of the tap. If not, you should make a plug out of some spare 5/16" fuel line and do a quick change with the fuel line and the plug.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
      If you have a vaccum petcock that is working properly... .

Okay, a follow-up dumb question. How do I know if my petcock is working properly?

thatdood

Comment

Originally posted by thatdood View Post
        Okay, a follow-up dumb question. How do I know if my petcock is working properly?

thatdood
        At the risk of sounding like a smart aleck (which I'm not trying to be), you should just have a bucket handy and take the tank off. Once you've got the bolt out that secures the tank, pull the fuel line from the petcock off at either end. If it leaks, the petcock's shot (or is pointing to PRIME), and you'll just have to hold it over the bucket until you can get it plugged. That's my two cents.

Randy...

Comment

Thanks Randy. I surely had a bucket, because I knew with my luck gas was going to spew all over the place. But it wasn't that bad.

One step at a time

thatdood

Comment

Working...
          X