R/R problems from non-OEM solenoid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R/R problems from non-OEM solenoid?

Does anyone know if the regulator/rectifier could be pushed to failure by using an non-OEM starter solenoid?

I was having starting problems and traced it to a bad solenoid. I replaced it with one from Sears, for a Craftsman lawn tractor, I think. It fit the bracket, seemed beefy, and the only difference was that it had a ground wire rather than a frame ground. So I just ran the ground wire to the mounting bolt and everything was fine.

However, shortly thereafter, the battery started discharging while I rode - after about an hour it would be so dead it couldn't even maintain a spark. I have just ordered a new ElectroSport R/R after confirming mine was bad.

Could the new solenoid have killed my otherwise good (but old) R/R? Should I buy an OEM one just to be sure and protect my new unit? The stator seems fine (resistance low, voltage high on all 3 phases). I know I don't have the best electrical connections, and I replaced the bullet connectors from the stator because they were getting hot, but otherwise they've never given major trouble before.

Thanks
    Nick

The starter solenoid has nothing to do with the charging system. Putting too much air in your tires also will not cause charging system failure. :-)

I've been using a lawn tractor (Briggs and Stratton) starter solenoid on my 1150 for about 4 years. Never a problem with it.

Earl

[QUOTE=Flyin' Low;492725]Does anyone know if the regulator/rectifier could be pushed to failure by using an non-OEM starter solenoid?
    Last edited by earlfor; 08-21-2006, 01:16 PM.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Agreed.

A starter solenoid is about as simple as it gets for an electrical device, and there are no mysterious interactions between the solenoid and the R/R. The Suzuki part is just more expensive than the Sears part, that's all.

Just a coincidence that you had these two failures one after the other. Such is often the joy of riding elderly machinery...
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I think the only way the solenoid could get to the R/R was if it was leaking current while the bike was running and that might not even do it. Look at the solenoid and its wiring and test it for shorts. If you don't find anything I'd call it coincidence.

Comment

Thanks all for the sanity check... glad to hear they're unrelated. Looking forward to getting the new R/R.

I thought maybe somehow I was fouling up the ground path for the R/R, since its ground wire is attached to the frame at the same point as the solenoid's. Would having a bad ground accelerate its demise?

Thanks
          Nick

Comment

I would bet that the failing regulator was caused by your bullet connectors rather than anything. Remove them, solder them, and save that stator from further damage ( I know you said it wasnt bad, however, poor connections will kill one fast) Also make sure you install a dedicated ground wire from the regulator mount bolt to the negative battery terminal.

Comment

Thanks, Arkaloid. A dedicated ground is a simple, good idea. The new bullet connectors are much tighter but running some solder in probably couldn't hurt.

Nick

Comment

Working...
              X