Lower bar+long cables=more questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower bar+long cables=more questions

Okay, so I've put the lower "Superbike" bar on my 78 GS1000E and I finally got my headlight on yesterday and guess what, the throttle cables that used to work now are too long as a result of being "routed" behind the headlight. These bars are a popular mod for the bike, and I am curious what you are all doing to alleviate the cable issue.

Are you getting longer cables? Yep, cables. Mine has two. If so, where? bikebandit and motorcycle accessory warehouse don't have them for a 79 S model.

Are you routing differently? I think I may be able to route the cables to the left side of the frame head, under the backbone, and not cause any undue issues.

Again, any info is appreciated. Just waiting for parts to rebuild my front calipers (and anything else that comes up) and I am on the road.

Striking out

Really striking out. Soozooki still offers cables for the 79 S models. Any routing suggestions with the longer stock cables?

Comment

I routed my cables differently to take up the slack. So far it seems to be working out for me.

Comment

Me too. I put the Euro bars on, which I think are tighter than the superbike bars.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
          Me too. I put the Euro bars on, which I think are tighter than the superbike bars.
          I went to superbike type bars on my 850 and did not change any of the hoses or cables. I actually did a small loop in front of the reservoir in the braided steel line for my front brake. Worked great and looked kinda cool. Kept the superbike bars for 10 years or more. After that I switched to a bar in between superbike and stock; didn't replace any cables/lines then either. If I had shortened the stainless cable instead of looping it I would have had to buy a new one.
          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Load off the mind

That is what I was hoping to hear. I'll give it a whirl tonight and and see if it sticks.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
            X