Engine case sealer recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by earlfor
    Yep Scotty, have a lot of experience with that sort of thing. :-)
    J B Weld is a two part high temp epoxy filler, and will work just fine for that problem. There are a couple of things to consider. J B Weld normally takes about 6 hours to primary cure. Epoxies are absolutely intolerant of oil, or any greasy contamination. Not even a fingerprint is acceptable. The joint will have to be cleaned spotless and it cannot weep any oil for at least 6 hours while the epoxy is curing. Any oil that weeps after the compound is applied will form a microscopic barrier between the surface of the metal and the epoxy and it will not seal. The characteristics of epoxies in general can be modified by the ratio of catalyst to base. J B Weld is a 1:1 mix. That yields a very hard/brittle filler. With epoxies, INCREASING the amount of catalyst will produce a filler that is softer and more flexible. With engine vibration, an extremely hard filler would be susceptable to developing cracks. I would mix the J B Weld in the ratio of 2 parts of catalyst to 1 part of base so as to have a filler that is more flexible and less prone to cracking. For a neat "patch", I usually mask off the seam line and remove the tape before the filler has started to set. You can clip a shop light to shine on the repair and the heat will hasten then curing process.
    You only want the filler surface to be slightly warm...not hot.
    Acetone will usually draw excess oil out of a gasket edge if that is needed. Just prior to applying the filler, I scrub the area with comet cleanser and water to remove any acetone or other residue, then rinse with clean water and dry the surface with a heat gun or hair dryer.

Earl

Originally posted by slopoke
    While we are on this subject. I have developed a leak in one spot on the front of my engine where the barrels meet the lower cases. I really dont want to take her apart yet. My friend told me that and old trick was to use a quality 2 part epoxy just in the area over the leak. Any comments suggestions warnings--anything. Has any one ever done this
    Ok Earl good remindr on the cleaning. have been givin a product by Bigdaddy called K M ultra epoxy which he said gave him exceptionall results over the years on the oil pans of stock cars
    Thanks

Comment

I dont have any experience with that brand, but if your friend has had good luck with it for many years on oil pans, it sounds like it will be just what you need. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by slopoke
      Ok Earl good remindr on the cleaning. have been givin a product by Bigdaddy called K M ultra epoxy which he said gave him exceptionall results over the years on the oil pans of stock cars
      Thanks
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Sticky sticky...

Yes Martha there is such a thing as Hondabond... I used the stuff at the dealership on the Honda cars in the 80s & 90s. The Permatex Ultra-grey is a carbon-copy of the "Honda" stuff.
        Rick..........
        (Great info on the JB Weld curing & bonding specifics...think I'll print & save it!!!!!!!)

Comment

Working...
        X