Turn siganals.?.? No flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn siganals.?.? No flash

So I wnated to swap out my rear signals. I grabbed some regular 12V lights(from TSC actually), but when I wire them up, I get the front and rear signal for whatever direction I select kicks on, but just stays lit, and so does the dash indicator.No flash. What gives? I put the originals back and they flash fine..

Originally posted by Jason Adam View Post
    So I wnated to swap out my rear signals. I grabbed some regular 12V lights(from TSC actually), but when I wire them up, I get the front and rear signal for whatever direction I select kicks on, but just stays lit, and so does the dash indicator.No flash. What gives? I put the originals back and they flash fine..
    Wrong wattage?

Did you make sure the grounds were hooked up properly?

Comment

I had the same problem. The origional turn signal lights use a lot of power, and this high current is required to make your stock flasher unit work.

Solution: $3 on a generic, two blade flasher unit at the local auto parts store. No rewiring required, just plug it in.

Comment

Originally posted by jm_foote View Post
        I had the same problem. The origional turn signal lights use a lot of power, and this high current is required to make your stock flasher unit work.

Solution: $3 on a generic, two blade flasher unit at the local auto parts store. No rewiring required, just plug it in.
        Could you elaborate on that. Am I replacing the current flasher with a two blade electric? I'm not much of a gear head, but very DC electrical knowlegable. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Comment

Flashers are fairly universal. So long as it plugs into the wiring harness, you are good.

Flashers use the current passing through them to break the circuit temporarily. Too much current (too many lights) and the flasher flashes too rapidly or doesn't stay on very long. Not enough current, and the flasher never flashes.

Suzuki stock flashers are made for big, high-powered signal lights. LED's just don't draw enough current (flasher is in series with the lights) to make the flasher work.

Most auto stores will carry flasher units for cheap. So long as it fits it should work. I would avoid the "heavy duty" ones as they may require a lot of current as well, causing the same problem.

As for attaching the flasher, I just used a small zip-tie.

Changing flasher easy. Installing permanent voltmeter, not so easy (If someone wants, ask for details).

Best of luck with those flashers!

Comment

Will the bulbs from the original blinkers fit in the new lights? If so they should work with the bulb swap.

Comment

Check all your grounds. Just because they are connected doesnt mean they are getting a good connection. Right after I got my GS it would have that problem at least once a day. id have to pull over and jam the connectors under the seat back together. Once I replaced the connectors, all was well. It could also be a dead flasher, or a blown bulb.

Comment

Make sure your battery isn't almost dead. My signals would flash once then stay on and I thought the flasher relay was bad, but the battery was just too low. Charged it up and it flashed fine.

Comment

No, its exactaly what JM_foote said. The LEDs just do not pull enough current. I am getting new front signals tomarraow, then I will get a new appropriotely sized flasher.

Comment

use an ELECTRONIC flasher, more expensive than standard, but does not depend on current draw to flash. put voltage to it and it flashes by itself.

Comment

Working...
                    X