What a Great Day! Bike runs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a Great Day! Bike runs!

I started my bike up today for the first time since 1993! Actually I started it last night, but it would only run on two cylinders. So I took the carbs back out and fixed a couple of things.

I would not have attempted the carb cleanup without the support of the people of GSResources. I parked the bike long ago when the #2 cylinder quit. No way was I going to take the carbs apart. But after recently searching through the old posts, I realized mere mortals could clean carbs. I did have a couple of problems along the way that were straightened out by forum members within minutes.

I had another problem this morning that I don’t think I’ve heard of. When I opened the carbs back up. I was measuring the float actuation point when I noticed one of the floats was springy and the other thee felt solid. Turns out the needle valve is not one piece like I thought. The pin on the end is spring loaded, but three of mine were frozen. If I hadn’t had one good one, I’d have never known.

It runs a little rough but I have to sync the carbs. If I can find the adapters that is. The forks will be in the shop for another week or so, but I have plenty of other things that need attention.

Why won't this bike run?

After cleaning

Unrelated, but when I bought a new battery (Sears -$39.95) I had to deal with the battery low fluid warning light issue. I remembered reading about one member re-using his old sensor. So I pulled it out and put it into the #3 cell in place of the cap. Problem was that it hit the internal plates before it was seated. I decided to cut off about ¼ inch from the bottom of the sensor. It seems to have a lead rod running all the way to the top so there was plenty of length. I left the cap off too for more clearance. Works great, no light.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-08-2007, 06:30 PM.

It might be a coil issue, each coil fires two cylinders. Have you checked your coils?

Scud

Comment

Ya, the weak cylinders are # 3, and somewhat #4. Different coils. But I get sparking anyway. The #3 is the last to get a hot pipe, after I get off choke and rev it up a bit. When I start on choke, the #3 is cold for a minute or so, but eventualy heats up. The motor revs ok at that point. I think my next step is to check the sync. I really, really don't want to take the carbs off again!

Comment

The Morgan Carbtune is worth its weight in gold, I have one and love it. They are a little spendy but no mercury and they work flawlessly. You will get really good at synching once you have done it a few times...I sure have...

Sounds like something else to me though....I mean, the number three cylinder is on the inside and should get a hotter pipe first. A synch issue would not help this I don't think, but maybe....

Scud

Comment

You title hits the nail on the head. I can relate to that fine day when I brought my bike back to life after the poor thing sat for 2 years.

The next great day will be when you are scooting down the highway with the wind in your face \\/

Comment

Working...
          X