Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil filter cover plate O-ring

hi guys,

When I bought a new filter for my 550, it did not come with a new o-ring. Isn't that a bit strange?

Originally posted by SuperCell View Post
    hi guys,

When I bought a new filter for my 550, it did not come with a new o-ring. Isn't that a bit strange?

I did not get one either, and don't know where to get another, it's a weirdo, it snakes around the bolt holes. I don't even know how i'd size the durn thing.

What I did was take some high-temp RTV, fill the o-ring groove with it, and then wiped it out with a rag to about 1/2 depth. I then let the RTV set for about 4 hours to stiffen up a bit, set the O-ring on top of it and installed the cover.

Any extra RTV that happens to squeeze out will get caught by the oil filter, so I felt pretty safe. No leaks.

Anyone who thinks I'm an idiot, feel free to tell me so, but it worked.

Comment

If you buy the Fram filter for your bike, it will include the oring. I get mine at Kragen's (Checker's). They usually have to order it, but they are only $4.00
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

The oil filter cover o-ring is a separate part. Your delaer should have them. If not, try BikeBandit. Be sure to get an OEM o-ring. Some aftermarket companies (Fram to name one) supply an o-ring with the filter but it is noticeably thinner than the OEM part.

Thanks,
        Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Correct. Your cheaper filters will not have one.
          Another source is K&N filters, which also come with the oring.

Comment

I've never had a problem with Fram, Purolator, or Napa oil filters, all of which come with the o-ring. Emgo and Suzuki filters do not come with o-rings, which strikes me as the meanest kind of cheapness. You have to order the Suzuki o-ring seperately.

There was a run of the Frams a while back that had skinny o-rings, but those were recalled and it's been a few years. Fram automotive oil filters are widely known to be junk, but when you're changing the oil every 2,000 miles, the filter doesn't make much difference.

I generally change the o-ring at least twice a season.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
            X