Starter Clutch bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Clutch bearings

SO I have notcied this loud whirring on the left side of the crank. I know it's there becasue of the highly technical method of using a screwdriver stethescope. It's kinda cool, becasue it sounds like my bike has turbo!!:? I suppose it could be the big end bearing, but I'm trying to stay optimistic about it being the starter clutch bearings.[-o<

How easy is it to change them? Can I get the bearings seperately or do I just have to buy a whole new starter clutch?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

The bearing the starter clutch gear rides on is a replaceable part. Pull the LH cover off and remove the stator rotor.
    Can you hear this noise standing beside the bike or are you using your "stethoscope" looking for trouble?

Comment

The rotor mates to the tapered crankshaft with a press fit and is held in place with a large nut on the crankshaft end. The starter clutch is mounted to the backside of the rotor with three recessed machine screws. The starter clutch assembly is not directly mounted to the crank and does not freewheel on bearings. There are no bearings. The starter clutch is comprised of three balls, three pins and three springs. Its a sprague clutch, the same as is on the top of a pull start lawnmover. The crankshaft bearings run in oil and unless you have run the bike without any oil in it, I think it extremely doubtful that a crank bearing has gone bad. The most likely cause is two of the three starter clutch mounting bolts have sheared off and the clutch assembly is shaking around. You will need a rotor puller to get it off safely. Prying on beating on it is a big NO NO. A puller is going to cost you about $25, but well worth it. You'll also need a new side cover gasket. Its a pretty easy job.
      I made a "wrench" from two pieces of 2 x 4 with a couple of pieces of threaded rod. Place two 30" pieces of 2x4 side by side making a 2x8 and draw a circle having the rotor diameter centered at one end. Drill on both sides of the circle for the threaded rods to pass through vertically. (you have a big, circular wood clamp with a handle on it now) That will allow you to hold the rotor while turning the nut on the rotor puller.

Earl

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
      SO I have notcied this loud whirring on the left side of the crank. I know it's there becasue of the highly technical method of using a screwdriver stethescope. It's kinda cool, becasue it sounds like my bike has turbo!!:? I suppose it could be the big end bearing, but I'm trying to stay optimistic about it being the starter clutch bearings.[-o<

How easy is it to change them? Can I get the bearings seperately or do I just have to buy a whole new starter clutch?
      Last edited by earlfor; 08-22-2006, 10:18 AM.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
        There are no bearings.Earl
        I respectfully disagree. If my feeble mind serves me correctly, there is a caged roller bearing that sits inside the starter cluch gear. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. Other than that, you're on the money.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-22-2006, 11:54 AM.

Comment

I meant there is no bearing between the starter clutch housing and the crankshaft. That is mounted solidly to the rotor and there is no need of a bearing. The gear which does rotate in one direction does have a bearing.
          so yeah, you're right about the gear.

E.

Originally posted by chiphead View Post
          I respectfully disagree. If my feeble mind serves me correctly, there is a caged roller bearing that sits inside the starter cluch gear. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. Other than that, you're on the money.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

depends on the year early ones used caged style bearings the 16 valve motors used a bronze style bushing presed into the large gear it has an oil groove in it and is fed oil fromthe crank like a main or rod bearing

Comment

Originally posted by chiphead View Post
              Can you hear this noise standing beside the bike or are you using your "stethoscope" looking for trouble?
              I can hear it when my ear plugs and full face helmet are on and I am moving at speed down the street. Using the screwdriver I am pretty much positive that the noise is coming from this area. I pulled the cover off about 4000 miles ago when the noise began and looked at the screws for the rotor. These can be seen from the outside of the starter clutch, correct? At least the back side of them? They appear to be seated fully.

This isn't a rattle at all, it's a very high pitched whirring- it really sounds like a bike or car with turbo. The pitch gets higher as crank rpms increase.

Originally posted by chiphead
              I respectfully disagree. If my feeble mind serves me correctly, there is a caged roller bearing that sits inside the starter cluch gear.
              That is what I almost positive it is. I've never taken the starter clutch apart, but I have an engine at home on the bench with the covers off and the starter gear must freewheel on a bearing of some sort while the engine is running. It's this bearing that I am questioning how to replace.
              Currently bikeless
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by graham harron View Post
                depends on the year early ones used caged style bearings the 16 valve motors used a bronze style bushing presed into the large gear it has an oil groove in it and is fed oil fromthe crank like a main or rod bearing
                It's an 83 1100E.
                Currently bikeless

Comment

if its got the cage style you can buy the bearing i believe .check bike bandit or elswere for the schemetic. If you have the bronze bushing type either e bay or you have to buy the whole starter clutch as suzuki does not show the gear as available anymore and the bushing is part of the gear assy.

Comment

Working...
                  X