fuel shut off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel shut off

got a dumb question...i just got an 85 GS550L that i LOVE!! i havn't bought any manuals on it yet and i was wondering what position is considered "off" on the petcock? mine has on, reserve and prime...

There is no "off", these are a vaccuum petcock...always leave it in the On position.

It won't leak...

Comment

thanks! so that means prime is for the first start of the year i assume?

Comment

ON only sends fuel when a vacuum is present. This is the position to leave it normally.
        Prime sends fuel all the time. You would probably want to use this position when starting after a winter layover, then immediately switch back to ON.

Comment

Originally posted by satoripooh View Post
          thanks! so that means prime is for the first start of the year i assume?
          yes or if you've removed the tank for any type of maintenance.

If you do leave it on prime, be prepared to do an oil change as fuel will leak past the carbs and fill the crank case.

And you can flip it to reserve while it's running.
          Keith
          -------------------------------------------
          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

wow! thanks for all the info guys! who needs a Clymer when ya got the Resource?!

Comment

Originally posted by satoripooh View Post
              wow! thanks for all the info guys! who needs a Clymer when ya got the Resource?!

LOL. I have had my Clymer for a week. I swear that thing has already paid for itself.

But...The info given here is VERY much appreciated.

My addition to this question, is a question of my own. Should that be hard to move or fairly easy?

Comment

In between

It should have some resistance but not be too hard to move. If it's really stiff, you can try loosening up the screws...but only very slightly; otherwise, it will leak. If you try that, be sure to take a look at it a few times over the next few rides just to make sure you're not creating a hazard (and a mess!).8-[
                1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
                X