Push bike when clutch pulled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Push bike when clutch pulled?

I have an 82 1100. When it is in gear, but I have the clutch fully pulled, I still can not push the bike. Well, I can, but it is not easy (and I'm 200#).

Should the bike be able to roll freely with the clutch pulled? It rolls fine when in neutral.

NOTE: The bike shifts fine when I am going down the road. Sometimes it is a little hard to get into 1st, but I just double clutch and it works fine.

Thanks,

Doldrums

I would consider your experience to be "in the normal range"

I suppose a perfect clutcha adjustment would give you a bit more freedom in the front whell but it is more like my experience than unlike it.

Comment

Put it on the center stand and try moving the rear wheel.
      Try neutral and try in gear.

With the clutch pulled in, disengaged, and the rear tire off the ground, can you move the rear wheel? Or is there a lot of drag?

Lots of drag, try adjusting the clutch first.
      Also with the rear wheel off the ground, check the chain. Any kinks? Or tight spots? How loos or tight?

The bike should move easily with the clutch pulled in and in gear.
      Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

There should be a slight drag in first gear with the clutch in without the motor running, you should be able to push it unless going uphill:-) This should lessen with the bike warm. The drag is the oil between the clutch plates and when warm the oil is not as thick. You should have slight play in the clutch lever before it engages. I think you have your cable too tight.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
        X